Thread: Hard Lump in Thigh

Hard Lump in Thigh

My son is eight weeks past injury, complete t-10. About a month ago his right thigh swelled (while still in the hospital). This slowly continued until his whole right leg was swollen. Tests were negative for thrombosis, MRI (for ossification) and x-ray had no results. We were sent home with a vague guess that there was some tissue death in the muscles around his injury site (t-10) and that this was causing the swelling, by this time the whole leg was double the size of the other, with his thigh close to triple. The swelling began to subside, specially at night with ted-hose and elevation of leg. We were delighted. Now, in the last four days, though in the a.m. his ankle and calf look normal, he has developed a rock-hard lump in his thigh. This is not near any joint, it is mid-thigh, perhaps 6"by4"by2" thick, no heat or discoloration, no fever, all vitals normal, bowel program on track. Any experience with anything like this? Thoughts? Help!

Welcome to CC. Sorry for your son's sci.
    I haven't a clue. Hopefully the nurse will post.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    My son is eight weeks past injury, complete t-10. About a month ago his right thigh swelled (while still in the hospital). This slowly continued until his whole right leg was swollen. Tests were negative for thrombosis, MRI (for ossification) and x-ray had no results. We were sent home with a vague guess that there was some tissue death in the muscles around his injury site (t-10) and that this was causing the swelling, by this time the whole leg was double the size of the other, with his thigh close to triple. The swelling began to subside, specially at night with ted-hose and elevation of leg. We were delighted. Now, in the last four days, though in the a.m. his ankle and calf look normal, he has developed a rock-hard lump in his thigh. This is not near any joint, it is mid-thigh, perhaps 6"by4"by2" thick, no heat or discoloration, no fever, all vitals normal, bowel program on track. Any experience with anything like this? Thoughts? Help!
    It could be heterotopic ossification but the timing is too fast. How did they rule out thrombosis?

Wise.

I had a fracture in my left femur that went undetected, even with x-rays and an MRI. I "detected" it myself a month after I came home, when I was doing range of motion and I snapped the femur cleanly in two with a loud CRACK!

I also had a DVT and have developed HO in that same leg. The DVT was initially undetected by ultrasound but was later detected by another ultrasound a month later. The HO did not show up on xray or MRI, but was detected by a bone scan. All this stuff happened about the same time, within two months of leaving the hospital. My leg was swollen but never felt warm nor showed any discoloration.

Has he had a bone scan done? Have they checked very carefully for cracks or other signs of damage to the femur?

When I had HO, I had the same type of thing in about the same area. First my leg swelled all the sudden, and they checked it out and could not find anything. Several weeks later my PT noticed loss of range of motion in the same leg so she told the docs i had HO (she was right). I've got a healthy size lump in my thigh that is due to HO, which at first is hard to detect on xrays. But you had an MRI, thats pretty thorough, you'd think they would be able to see it if it was HO.

Hope you get it diagnosed soon.

My vote would be for a probable HO as well. He should have a serum alkaline phosphatase, and a bone scan (not an MRI) is the definitive test for HO. It is possible that the HO was already developing but it was too early to see the early signs by MRI or regular Xray.

(KLD)

Unhappy Hard Lump in Thigh

My daughter came home from a pool party about 3 years ago...someone had hit their head against her lower thigh..there was no bruising..with little swelling. Since then, her leg noticably has a small bump just above her knee...very hard. Not discolored, nor painful.

She is a pre-teen, and her school sent home a letter informing me her scoliosis screen came back suggesting I have her checked. Her spine is straight, but her shoulder blades are uneven...she typically carries a very heavy tote on one shoulder...for years...so I thought maybe it could be that....my research recently has led me to maybe think she had some type of injury to her femur...which did not heal correctly, and now her growth may have been impared.

Has anyone had anything remotely similar? - by default, I am not one to run to a doctor. When she first sustained the injury, she never really complaned of it hurting...it seemed fine to me. Now I am worried...please help.

I have HO on my femur post fracture, and it was detectable with an ordinary x-ray when it started to develop a few weeks after fixation. However, it took a good while before it could be felt. Given the size you reported, I would suggest getting imaging done again, including a sonogram if it is not visible on an x-ray.