Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: mac and cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Princess "Leia" View Post
    Wtf,

You may want to try starting with a basic white sauce also called a bechemel. If you don't, the cheese may separate from the butter amd milk as you cook it and you will have a mess. I always use a bechemel for mac n cheese. Ya take a couple of tablespoons of butter, melt in sauce pan, add two tablespoons flours, salt to taste, wisk till smooth being careul not to burn and then add a cup of milk wisking till smooth again then add cheese cooking till melted.Check for seasoning again with salt n pepper, add your pasta of chocie, I love to use a smaller penne pasta, pour into a greased baking dish, sprinkle with more cheese, a few bread crumbs and bake. I make four times the amount for a huge baking dish full, its well worth it. I can dig up a written recipe if ya want cuz mine is in my head.

You can adjust recipe for thickness or thinness with amount of four. I have many variations and enjoy 2-3 differnent cheeses at a time which gives a great depth of flavor. Sometimes I start with sauteed onion and garlic too and add a well drained can of Rotel tomatoes for a nice kick.

Down these parts and being married to a southerner if ya can't make a decent mac n cheese well........I love to cook and my mac n cheese kicks ass and took me years to perfect. It's a comfort dish that I go too when someone needs a bit of "loving from the oven".

Hope this helps,
    Leia
    Ps- always cook the pasta ala dente as it cooks more when ya bake it.
    Yes it did help, that sounds pretty easy to make too, I would like the recipe with the 2-3 different cheeses, I think that would taste even better. I'm definitely going to try it again till I get it right cuz I love a homemade mac and cheese. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    Where you went wrong was calling this anything other than "I tried to make miso." Mac & CheeseWhat is wrong with you? Didn't you stop to consider the nutritional content? What it will do to your ecological profile, your carbon footprint.
    I told you I needed help, you should give me some cooking lessons on nutritional content. I think I know where you live, I've actually been to placerville cuz I had an aunt who used to live there and an uncle who used to live in citrus heights. So.....

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Yes it did help, that sounds pretty easy to make too, I would like the recipe with the 2-3 different cheeses, I think that would taste even better. I'm definitely going to try it again till I get it right cuz I love a homemade mac and cheese. Thanks so much.

I didn't learn how to make Classic Macaroni and Cheese until I moved to the South. It's nothing like Kraft's Mac&Cheese.

I probably make it the same way Princess Leia does.

Preheat oven to 375.

I usually start off by boiling the water for the pasta. Once the pasta starts cooking, I start on the sauce.

Start off with a roux (4 tablespoons butter and flour), slowly whisk milk (2 cups), then add grated onions and 2-3 cups of cheese; I usually do a mix of sharp cheddar, parmesan, and gruyère but most cheeses will work (pepper jack, monterey jack). You don't need to overcook or overwork the sauce.

Usually, it's about time to strain the pasta and right about time that the oven is preheated.

Assemble the casserole in a greased dish by putting in the pasta, then the cheese sauce and then sprinkle a (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs/ (1/4 cup) parmesan mixture to form a crust. Then bake at 375 for 30 min.

Pretty popular at church potlucks and other events calling for a covered dish.
    Daniel

You could also make the pasta(don't salt the water) , when the pasta is drained and still hot add shredded cheese and some cream, I like to use fat free half and half and then mix. Quick creamy mac and cheese and very little cooking. Right up my alley!

I'll throw my version of mac n' cheese into the ring also:

Mac and Cheese for 2

Boil 1 c mac, shells, or rotini with salt and pepper. Drain pasta and leave it in the drainer. Wisk 2 tablespoons of flour and butter each into the hot saucepan. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of milk to the bottom of the pan. Add cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Heat over low to medium heat, whisking constantly until the cheese melts, adding more milk as needed to get the consistency you want. Stir in drained pasta and serve. For the cheese, I usually use 4 oz of Velveeta plus a some shredded sharp cheddar cheese. It's also good with a combo of Velveeta, sharp cheddar and monterrrey jack cheese. Be sure to cut the Velveeta into small cubes and shred the cheese so it melts faster.

You can double the cheese sauce and then add other stuff like broccoli (cheese and broccoli soup) or make some baked potato soup by adding cooked cubed potatoes, ham, onions, crispy bacon, and garlic into it (can't wait to have this Wednesday night!).

Good Luck!

Ok, I'm going to add my version just because it's pretty different than the above.

Cook the noodles.
    In a casserole dish layer noodles, shredded cheese, noodles, shredded cheese.
    In a bowl, beat three eggs and 1 to 1 1/2 cups of milk together.
    Pour egg mixture over the casserole (I do a side to side motion as I pour so the top all gets wet).
    The liquid should come up to just below the level of the noodles, if it doesn't, you can add a little milk till you can just see the liquid peeking around the noodles.
    Bake at 350 for 45 min. to an hour.

I've made this forever, learned it from my mom as a child, so I don't know measurements. Cook enough pasta to make two layers in whatever size dish you are using, cheese is around two cups for a decent but not huge dish, and milk and eggs as listed above. For a smaller dish, two eggs and less milk.

Probably because it is what I grew up with, I love this version and find the cheese sauce version too soupy.

Wow we could have hell of a mac n cheese party with all the great recipes here. WTF you are well on your way to perfecting your own. Let us know how it goes.

Yeahhhhh, thank you guys all so much the recipes, they all seem easy and simple to make. I have an aunt who's ill so every night we've been having family dinners at her home, so I'm going to try one of these for tomorrow night. Again thanks!

gigi ..... my mom used to make a similar version as well/
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I found this recipe after watching an episode of 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' on FoodTV - the recipe looked awesome, and it is!!! Most definitely not for those who are watching their fat/calorie intake, though!

Macaroni and Cheese - Sweetie Pie

1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
    1 cup whole milk
    2 cans (12 oz. size) evaporated milk
    3 eggs
    2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces
    1/2 pound Colby cheese, shredded
    1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
    1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into small chunks
    Salt, to taste
    1 tablespoon white pepper
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 cup shredded American or mild cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Heat oven to 350F.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer the pasta to a 9x13-inch casserole dish**. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the whole milk, evaporated milk and eggs. Mix with a fork until thoroughly combined. Add the butter and Colby, Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar and Velveeta cheeses to the pasta. Pour the milk and egg mixture over the pasta. Season with salt, pepper and sugar and toss. Sprinkle the top of the pasta with the remaining cup of American or cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown.

**Note: I found this whole recipe made the 9x13 pan plus another 8x8 pan! It freezes beautifully, though. I've also cut the recipe in half, and that size makes a perfect 9x13 pan.

Enjoy!