Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: mac and cheese

I have always been wondering what mac and cheese was. Now I see it is nearly like my macaroni with bechamelsaus and parmensan inside. I use to put bacon on the top
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I have always been wondering what mac and cheese was. Now I see it is nearly like my macaroni with bechamelsaus and parmensan inside. I use to put bacon on the top
    this sounds good.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady View Post
    I found this recipe after watching an episode of 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' on FoodTV - the recipe looked awesome, and it is!!! Most definitely not for those who are watching their fat/calorie intake, though!

I think my arteries started clogging up just reading this!!!! It sounds really good.

Ok this thread is about a month old but I just made some homemade mac and cheese Sunday as part of a family dinner. I was watching the PBS cooking show America's Test Kitchen and they used 3 cans of evaporated milk instead of regular milk and said it holds together better. It seemed to work well.

They also saved some of the pasta water (it has starch in it) and added a bit if the cheese sauce was too thick. I used sharp cheddar, monterey jack and bought american cheese from the deli section and shredded it myself. I liked that combination and make certain you shred your own american cheese - don't use the singles.

Oh I forgot the topping. I used Panko bread crumbs with about 1/2 stick of melted butter mixed in and spread it over the top. I have this desire to put goldfish (the cheddar crackers not the swimmers) or Cheese Its though a food processor and use that as a topping. I think it would work well and you'd get that familar taste.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Ok this thread is about a month old but I just made some homemade mac and cheese Sunday as part of a family dinner. I was watching the PBS cooking show America's Test Kitchen and they used 3 cans of evaporated milk instead of regular milk and said it holds together better. It seemed to work well.

They also saved some of the pasta water (it has starch in it) and added a bit if the cheese sauce was too thick. I used sharp cheddar, monterey jack and bought american cheese from the deli section and shredded it myself. I liked that combination and make certain you shred your own american cheese - don't use the singles.
    Hi, do you have the recipe (link) for your mac and cheese, I'm trying different varations. I've made M&C twice since my mess-up and I've been using the princess and dan's recipe and they've come out pefect, thanks guys. 3 cans of evaporated milk seems like alot, how many servings did you get out of it.

wtf

Here's the recipe I used. It made a good size portion and my wife's son made a couple of additional meals out of it.

1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
    3 cans evaporated milk
    1 stick butter
    Approx. 3 tablespoons of flour
    3/4 pound sharp cheddar, shredded
    1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (or try combination of colby/monterey)
    3/4 pound american cheese (from deli section), shredded (don't use the singles)
    Salt, to taste
    White pepper, to taste
    Fresh ground nutmeg, to taste but just a pinch or so since its strong
    6 to 8 splashes of tobasco sauce
    Panko bread crumbs (1 to 1-1/2 cups)

Cook the past in salted water according to the al dente directions and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process and set aside. Save about 1/2 to 1 cup of the pasta water for later.

In the same pot you cooked the pasta add 3 tablespoons of flour and 1/2 stick of butter and mix thoroughly for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the evaporated milk, nutmeg, white pepper, salt and tobasco sauce and whisk until all the lumps are gone. Bring slowly to not quite a boil and continue to mix. Add your cheeses and mix until well blended. If the mixture seems too thick add some of the pasta water you reserved to loosen up (I did not need any and you could probably use milk if you forget to save the pasta water). Pour the mixture into a good sized baking dish. I have a very deep lasagna pan that my wife asked me to use since I typically pile things to the top and have been known to cause a mess.

In a small bowl add the Panko bread crumbs and 1/2 stick of melted butter and mix. Spread the bread crumbs over the top of the mac and cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until the topping is slightly brown.

Like I mentioned earlier I think it might be fun to put some goldfish crackers in a food processor and use that as a topping or maybe Cheese Its. In the recipe I saw on TV they used white bread that they ran through a food processor.

Thanks Steveg, that seems easy, I'm going to try it. one quick question--are those the little cans of milk or the larger size?

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Did you cook the macaroni & cheese sauce in seperate pans??? I just cook my macaroni till its tender, take it off the heat & add the cheese, butter & milk. You shouldn't cook the sauce & its not necessary to cook in a seperate pan.
    That's how I've done it since I was a kid. Hard to mess it up. Saves on dirty dishes too, especially if you just eat it out of the pot
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Did you cook the macaroni & cheese sauce in seperate pans??? I just cook my macaroni till its tender, take it off the heat & add the cheese, butter & milk. You shouldn't cook the sauce & its not necessary to cook in a seperate pan.
    That's the way I do it. I don't know why anybody would make the box mix crap when it's so easy to put your own cheese in (I like Velveeta, very creamy). I make it extra creamy because it sets up as it cools.