Thread: Pneumatic compression cuffs?

Pneumatic compression cuffs?

Hi - New here. I am interested to find out if anyone has used this device and if it is helpful. It is marketed as Doctor Life Intermittent Pneumatic Compression system. From South Korea. Website claims that it is helpful for Spinal Cord Injury among other conditions. It looks like a big airbag you put around your legs - and they have one for arms too. Gives relief to limbs in form of massage, passive exercise, circulation, etc. I am C5/C6 incomplete - two years out from injury - lots of pain, tingling and "frozen" in limbs esp. after bowel program. Thanks for any input.

Bogus. All that would do would possibly help any peripheral edema you have, and risk breaking of any undetected deep vein clots and making them into deadly pulmonary emboli. Absolutely no scientific evidence this benefits anyone except the $eller.

Have you tried acupuncture or TENS?

(KLD)

sci nurse,
    i have been using a huntleigh intermittent compression system daily to keep my edema under control for years as regular prophylactic therapy. i feel it has been a major factor in my skin health of my lower extremities, esp my feet. i started it 10 years ago after i had a foot sore.

is long term intermittent compression therapy contraindicated?

I used these as well on my legs only ... it was annexed by my doctor up in Toronto until my pressure sores are healed. We started wrapping my legs instead with coban so they don't suffer edema in the first place .... world of difference (juzo stocking were just never tight enough).

I saw healing after I stopped using the huntleigh.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BC...en_by_Internet

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have used an inexpensive compression device (IGIA Air-O-Sage-Leg, Calf, Thigh & Foot Massager Boot http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MERFB:IID) for many, many years. Swelling & pain are significantly reduced.

I've had no blood clot problems or concerns, due (I believe) to including fibrinolytic foods like natto (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15671687) in my diet. The compression unit & diet probably have not been studied on people with paralysis. They may have been shown to be no more effective in prevention of swelling, pain, or blood clots in those with paralysis than placebos. Send flames to /dev/null
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    All that would do would possibly help any peripheral edema you have, and risk breaking of any undetected deep vein clots and making them into deadly pulmonary emboli.

(KLD)
    In my last rehab hospital they had a pump they used to compress my legs. Huntleigh pump I think. It worked well for my edema. Is there some situation where it would be save to use a compression pump for home use for edema? (I asked this on another thread but got no replies about it).