Thread: need help please

need help please

I got two MRI reports-1 lumbar, 1 thoracic, and parts of them seem to conflict-Any advice?

I also need help understanding the reports, as my gp is telling me to wait for the surgeon to explain, and that is a few weeks away.

I apologize for the length in advance.

added a (?) on conflicting points

MRI lumbar spine:

Multiplanar sequencing performed. No IV contrast administered.

Indication: Radiculopathy. Low back pain

Findings: There is disc desiccation involving L3-4, L4-5. There is no evidence of focal vertebral body height loss or marrow edema. The conus appears to be high riding and is higher than T12. I would reccomend correlation with thoracic spine MRI to delineate the conus and it's integrity.

L1-2: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis.

L2-3: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis.

L3-4: Broad-based posterior disc bulge and mild thecal sac deformity. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is mild bilateral neural foraminal encroachment and no central spinal canal stenosis.

L4-5: Broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal stenosis.

L5-S1: There is epidural lipomatosis. There is broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening.There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal narrowing primarily due to epidural lipomatosis.

Impression: The conus higher than T12. Correlation with thoracic MRI advised. Mild degenerative features otherwise outlined as described above. (?)

MRI THORACIC SPINE:

Findings:

There is normal kyphotic curvature of thoracic spine with intact cervicothoracic and thoracolumbar alignment. There is no fracture or subluxation. The vertebral bodies are normal in height and signal. The disc spaces are normal in height. There is disc dessication at T7-T8 through T9-T10. The central canal is Patent. The cord is normal in caliber and signal. There is no prevertebral or paravertebral soft tissue abnormality.

Axial images:
    T1-R2, T2-T3: normal

T3-T4: Tiny central disc herniation

T4-T5: Small central disc herniation

T5-T6: Tiny central disc herniation

T6-T7: Small central disc herniation

T7-T8: slightly prominent cantral disc herniation

T8-T( A prominent central disc herniation effacing the ventral csf space. No cord abutment or impingement.

T9-T10: A large central and right paracentral disc herniation. cord abutment or impingement.

T10-T11,T11-t12, T12-L1: normal. The conus is normal in position and signal.

Impression:
    1. Disc herniations at T3-T4 through T9-T10, as described. Disc degeneration at T7-T8 through T9-T10.
    2.Prominent disc herniation at T8-T9 and
    T9-T10.
    3. Unremarkable spinal cord and conus (?)

My thoracic region is all fucked up too. I wonder if it's more common in women. I was told that it is rare to have herniated discs there; but since most research is focused on men, I wonder if "what's common/normal" was decided due to studies with men and may not apply in the same way to women.

It appears the radiologist thinks your lumbar spine is fairly normal for your age. Your spinal cord is not involved in your thoracic or lumbar regions. Your thoracic area has some disc problems between T3 and T9. I'm not a medical professional of any kind and would suggest you wait to see what your surgeon says when he compares the two.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.