Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Average Length of Inpatient Rehab Stay - ?

5 months in rehab centre =
    1 month bedrest after laminectomy, 4 months rehabbing
    Level of injury T4
    England
    Only left rehab when both I and the professionals thought it was time.

This length of stay is not uncommon for people with paraplegia in the UK, I believe.

6 month of SCI rehab in Norway, I am a T12 incomplete. This is the same today if there is no complications. I was in the hospital for two month before rehab, that is not common anymore. It happens people are kicked out of rehab before, if they don't do their job.

9 month of rehab for the tetraplegics, I think.

Strange system here. Three month in rehab, then 2 weeks in a nursing home and then back to the rehab for three month. Some is sent to another rehab senter for four weeks and then back again for the SCI rehab.
    TH 12, 43 years post

3 weeks in the hospital-one week longer because of my stroke and heart patch surgery. I am T8 "complete".

4 weeks in a regular hospital rehab. We had no direction on where to go. My insurance will only cover 60 days. I have just in the past year learned to cath from my chair and drive. I still am terrible at transfers and breaking down my chair. Things to work on I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    6 month of SCI rehab in Norway, I am a T12 incomplete. This is the same today if there is no complications. I was in the hospital for two month before rehab, that is not common anymore. It happens people are kicked out of rehab before, if they don't do their job.

9 month of rehab for the tetraplegics, I think.

Strange system here. Three month in rehab, then 2 weeks in a nursing home and then back to the rehab for three month. Some is sent to another rehab senter for four weeks and then back again for the SCI rehab.
    Sure all can be better, but what you post here is not correct by any means. All is wrong, stay, level of injury for such etc. Nursing home? Whom get there? Please post facts next time.

I was in Neuro ICU 6 days, general hospital ward for 4 days (until a bed opened up at TIRR.) I think I was at TIRR rehab for 8 weeks, sent home for a month until I got my c-collar off, readmitted to TIRR for 2 more weeks for stuff I couldn't do w/ c-collar on.

C5-6 incomplete, but of course at that stage I think we all function pretty much like complete injuries. I definitely did. I had no other significant injuries besides SCI.

I knew from my life (mom = a stroke victim) that rehab was paramount. I worked my ASS off. The only trouble I got into was sneaking into the gym to work out when I wasn't scheduled. Never missed a class. Only time in bed was when they made me go b/c I was clearly sick. The only thing I ever refused was having my husband learn bowel care.

My point is, I was sent home because my insurance coverage ran out. I still was improving, and I was very very compliant. I may sound defensive. My stepmom insisted I must be being kicked out b/c she knew a para in the 60's that was in rehab for 6 months. Well, in America in 2000, that was not the game any longer. I'm still mad at her for saying that. I worked SO HARD.

Rehab is your last, best hope. Maximize every minute of it!

The best thing that happened to me afterwards was that the VA in Houston was running a research study. They needed ppl w/ my type of injury to do Suspended Treadmill Ambulation Training. This was 60 days, an hour a day, of hanging by a harness over a treadmill, a PT at each foot. They slowly increased the amount of weight I was bearing. It was grueling, and the simple process of getting there and back daily was another endurance test entirely. It took me 6 or 7 hours a day to get there, work out and get home unless I happened to have a family member who could drive me around (rare). Took twice as long to complete as it should have b/c I was wrestling w/ UTI's, was single-parenting an 11 yr old, had my house on the market. Aaaarrrgghhh, what a year. Rehab was a picnic compared to the rest of that year. But at the end of it, I was STRONG.

When that ran out is when I hit my wall.

If you live or can live near a metro area, ask around about exercise based research programs. They are still taking place, I'm sure. The last one I heard of was a year ago, in S. Carolina.

I think I should add-I was 40, so not a spring chicken. By the end of that 1st yr, I could walk very short distances w/ 2 forearm crutches.
    Last edited by betheny; 10-19-2008 at 12:29 AM.