Thread: Changing cath size from 18 to 16

Changing cath size from 18 to 16

I had always used 16F but when I had the Augmentation the DR put me on 18F. Wow kinda big but he said it was for all the stuff to come out of the bladder. I still have all that stuff but will it go through a 16F? Wonder if that large size is hurting my urethra? Has anyone else used 18F? Boy, it don't take long to cath.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

You are still using an indwelling catheter after your augmentation? Why?

Generally for straight catheterization, a 14 Fr. is recommended for adults, and mucous and debris is handled by 1-3X daily flushing for those who have had an augmentation. The larger the catheter, the easier it is to do trauma to the urethra (or Mitrofanoff).

For an indwelling catheter, a 16 Fr. is recommended for a urethral catheter for adults. Bigger catheters cause more urethral damage and trigger more bladder spasm. For a SP catheter, generally larger sizes are used, in the range of 20-24 Fr.

(KLD)

I am post 5 years Augmentation and Cath through the urethra. I flushed the muchous out the first 2 weeks and haven't done ie since. I was wondering if the mucous will go through the 16's.
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

It depends on how much and how thick the mucous is. If you are still putting a lot of mucous out, most urologist recommend a daily flush. Mucous build-up can promote the formation of stones, not just clog catheters.

(KLD)