Thread: SCI and nursing

SCI and nursing

I'm about to start my second semester of my 2nd yr in nursing and I was wondering if there are any specific specialties for nurses intrested in SCI. For example, some of my friends are looking into PICU,coronary care,surgery etc. I was just wondering if there's a specific SCI training or specialty. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

SCI nurses need a solid foundation in medical-surgical nursing, with good skills in urologic care, neurology/neurosurgery, orthopedic care, and psychiatric nursing. I would not plan on doing any specialization this early in your program (most generic nursing programs don't allow this anyway). You also need a good background in geriatric nursing and general rehabilitation. Of course peds is important if you plan to work in pediatric SCI care. You could find out from your instructors if a clinical rotation is planned for a SCI center or rehabilitation center, and if not, if a special study rotation could be approved for you in your senior year.

You could look into working part-time as an aide in a SCI center while still going to school. The VA hospital in San Juan has a SCI center, and this would be a good place to look, esp. if you are in a BSN program as the VA prefers to hire nurses with this education, and often have special programs for hiring nursing students as aides or SNTs (student nurse technicians) while they are still in school as a recruitment strategy.

I am glad you are interested in this specialty. It is a very rewarding and fulfilling specialty, but very challenging and many nurses will not even consider working in this field due to lack of knowledge or experience.

(KLD)

Thanks for all the info. You are right we can't make those choices so early but I'm still wondering because there's just not a lot of info available here in PR regarding nursing and SCI. I'm just now in my second sem. and it's mostly all basics and the first part of med-surgical and getting through requisite courses.Everything else you mentioned is included along in the next 3 yrs.I just want to know my options since I might have to go to the US for that and I'd def. have start saving money now.But I will go to the VA Hos since it's in the same medical center where we train.If you think of anything else here in PR that you might know of please let me know.

I would also recommend that you check out the websites and resources available from AASCIN which is the American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Nurses, as well as ARN, which is the Association of Rehabilitation Nurses. Both sell books, sponsor educational conferences, have AV resources and have lots of information available on this specialty. You do have to already be an RN to join, but you will find a lot of encouragement from members. There are AASCIN members working at the San Juan VAMC SCI Center.

(KLD)