Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk Island National Park

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru
    It looks gorgeous OJ and once again criss crossed with wheel-able paths.

If you don't mind I'm going to copy some of your path pictures and send them to our Dept. of the Environment who are responsible for our national parks.

I bet I don't even get a reply but it's got to be worth a try!
    Let them know that at least two foreigners, one gimp, would visit such accessible parks! And the two of us hire a car or guide to get there. Then there's a great meal in a place locals go whether pub, family place or stars if we are dressed for both park and restaurant. We spend where access is good. We spend on the boat or back at the, normally American based, hotel when access sucks..

We have some local parks along small rivers here that the boy scouts keep up by cleaning the paths each spring and fixing edging. In fall they buckle down or remove garbage cans, last leaf blow for mulch that goes into county building flower beds come spring. And high school students use these areas to learn how to test water quality, oxygen saturation, tadpole and fish counts and attempts to count huge deer that can scare a stroller to the tree tops. IOWs, some of the access can be cheap to keep up.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

The Japanese may have their gardens but those vistas are equally zen in my mind OJ ..... I'm really glad you ventured out ..... I hope it "restored your soul" !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic
    I hear you regarding this entire quote.
    This is a no win or a win-win. I used to hike a lot before my injury. Loved camping in and around Yosemite most of all. But hiking portions of the C and O Canal was also fantastic and we got forest ranger guides occasionally. Parts of that would be doable by powerchair on a dry day. Glad I did Yosemite and now miss the ability to do the same at say Yellowstone. And yet even here in suburbia I notice more from this height. Or maybe just a different view.

Great pics OJ. Next spring watch as box turtles sun themselves on logs the beavers down but haven't moved yet. And while I've seen bison spring will bring baby bison and I haven't seen baby ones. The moose may come out when their babies switch to tender grass also. The circle thing takes time but is so cool.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

nice pictures OJ

I used to travel through that park frequently when i lived in Veg and Lamont. I used to like traveling that highway.Took my sister there to show her the Bison but they were hiding in the woods. Lots of swans there the day i was there. Passing through i suppose.Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad
    Reminds me of home. I can almost smell the forest air. Thanks for posting this.
    You are welcome. I am glad you and everybody else liked them.I got some more pictures that turned out really nice that I want to post. I am just very slow with getting them resized. Timaru I have some more path shots that might be good to forward on to your park service. I will try to post them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Great pics OJ. Next spring watch as box turtles sun themselves on logs the beavers down but haven't moved yet. And while I've seen bison spring will bring baby bison and I haven't seen baby ones. The moose may come out when their babies switch to tender grass also. The circle thing takes time but is so cool.
    We did see quite a few of the babies that would have been born last spring. Here is one shot, although you can't really see the baby well. I haven't been able to look at all the pictures yet but I think there are some better shots of the babies. What surprised me is that, at six months old or so, they looked more like cows than bison. They were very cute and stuck close by their mothers.

We saw a couple of moose but no babies with them, although we did manage to glimpse a couple of young elk hiding among the trees. I think you are right that this park would be a great place to see new life in the spring.
    Last edited by orangejello; 10-16-2008 at 11:12 PM.

You've already got a great eye OJ. I was lucky enough to be stationed for 3 whole weeks near Boston and spent a day each weekend circling Walden Pond. There's a photographer that does an original and then posters of it every year of one picture taken of rotating seasons. I got a terrific poster of the melting ice in late winter that he did in black and white that year. The small museum in Concord sells/sold them. If this park is close and you have a friend or family who might enjoy the changing seasons you might try the pics if not the selling and getting into the artsy side.

My gramps taught me how to walk silently as a little girl and when to freeze. Saw a newborn fawn once when I was about 8 and a pair of fawns with mom at 6 or so. Now I can roll to the nearest woods and just watch nothing silently. Love going home just having seen a scarlet tanager.

Your pictures are beautiful. Canada sure does have some gorgeous spots!

I know those bittersweet moments all too well, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip though and it was better than expected. You deserve a special trip atleast once a week to clear your head imo-everyone does

Very nice pictures OJ, glad to see you got out to a great place.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Let them know that at least two foreigners, one gimp, would visit such accessible parks! And the two of us hire a car or guide to get there. Then there's a great meal in a place locals go whether pub, family place or stars if we are dressed for both park and restaurant. We spend where access is good. We spend on the boat or back at the, normally American based, hotel when access sucks..
    Far too logical an approach Sue, to get any action from our politicians you have to catch them kerb crawling for rent boys!

I suppose that could be my Winter project, photographing a kerb crawling politician.....

I envy the accessibility of some of those parks as well. We have some areas with nice paths and trails, but I haven;t seen any as gorgeous as she has posted, that are also so natural as well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005