Thread: New to SCI and Introduction

New to SCI and Introduction

My warmest greetings to the board. I'm new and writing on behalf of my brother who recently suffered a C6 injury (Sept 14, 2008). I have been reading through many of the postings and I'm finding strength and inspiration from what others have written. Keep up the great work.

My brother (David) was in the ICU from 16 days before being moved to the Shepherd Institute in Atlanta for rehabilitation. He's a very determined and driven person, which I hope will assist him during rehab and recovery. My question to the message board, is other than here and the internet, what is the most detailed and complete medical journal, publication and/or book that specializes in the spine/nervous system/spinal cord injury?

Thanks again for providing this outlet,
    Chad

Welcome to CC! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's injury. You'll find this forum to be tremendous help, and a wealth of information. You might want to fill out your profile - it will help everyone get to know you a bit better.
    Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

Chad, welcome to our forums.

What is your brother's level of injury and ASIA category? How old is he? He is fortunate to be able to go to the Shepherd Center as they are one of the very best for SCI acute rehab.

There are a number of professional journals that you may want to check out if you are able to understand all the medical jargon:

Spine

Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation

Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine

Spinal Cord

Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Those are primarily medical journals. There are other specialty journals for rehab and SCI nursing, OT, PT, social work and psychology.

As far as textbooks, these are the better medical texts, which you may be able find in your local medical school library:

http://www.amazon.com/Spinal-Cord-Me...3999366&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Spinal-Cord-In...3999553&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Spinal-Cord-In...3999553&sr=1-2

For consumers, the most read magazines are:

Paraplegia News

New Mobility

For a good SCI manual, Shepherd Center actually has one of the best, which he should get in hard copy but is also available on-line here:
    http://www.myvitalconnections.org/MV...sf/patientpage

There is also this one from Thomas Jefferson/Magee:
    http://www.spinalcordcenter.org/manual/index.html

"Yes, You Can!" from the PVA is also an excellent manual:
    http://www.pva.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8110

You may also want to check out discussions of other books on our Exchange Forums Book forum.

(KLD)

Thanks for your quick response. The Shepherd Institute came highly recommended. My brother is a C6 Complete, but has feeling in his fingertips (which I'm told is a good sign). I've also seen him pick up a piece of food and feed himself. He has movement in his head, neck shoulders, arms and wrists, with limited feeling and movement in his hands. He is 32 years old and in great physical shape (very active). He also has been catacogized with a "positive BCR", but I need to learn more about that.

Thanks again for the information.
    Chad

A positive BCR (bulbocavernosus reflex) is just an indication that he is starting to come out of spinal shock, and that the true picture of his impairment will be more clear. It also indicates that he probably will have an upper motor neuron (UMN) bowel and bladder, and reflex erectile function. It is a test often done during the initial assessment, but is not an a prognostic sign.

C6 innervates sensation but not movement of the thumb and index finger, so to be called C6 he would have to have sensation there. He will learn to use his wrist movement (tenodesis) to control his grasp and should be quite functional at this.

Ask many questions, attend all available classes and events, and be sure that he participates in the counseling portions of the program as well as the exercise. Many physically fit men avoid the counseling, recreation (including outings) and education aspects of the comprehensive rehab program and want to only work out in the therapy gym, but in the long run it is just as important.

(KLD)

Susan, pHD on SCI Recovery

Chad,

I am very sorry to hear about your brother's injury. He is very fortunate to have an advocate like you researching for him. I am a PT and I completed my dissertation on SCI recovery in 2004. I would be happy to send you a copy on disk; just provide an address to send it to.

I currently have 7 persons active in our SCI recovery program with C6, or higher level lesions, that have progressed up through Stage 5 Recovery (pushing up onto fully straight arms) and Stage 6 Recovery (transferring independently). Just yesterday a gentleman in his sixties, diagnosed with a C6 complete injury over two years ago, walked 60 feet down the hall with the aid of knee immobilizers, a gait trainer and assist for forward leg progression. This particular man started our program with no triceps (Stage 3 Recovery), and with structural integrity work, laser, electrical stim, and sensory, he now can bench press 90 pounds!! and transfers independently!!

Most of our patients are willing to provide email addresses. One of our Never Ever Boys, Colin, has a thread on Care Cure called 'My Path of Recovery' (search on the home screen to find). Colin fractured his C4 and has made excellent and continued progress.....

Anyway, keep researching and let me know if I can help in any way.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by CenterIMT Atlanta View Post
    Chad,

I am very sorry to hear about your brother's injury. He is very fortunate to have an advocate like you researching for him. I am a PT and I completed my dissertation on SCI recovery in 2004. I would be happy to send you a copy on disk; just provide an address to send it to.

I currently have 7 persons active in our SCI recovery program with C6, or higher level lesions, that have progressed up through Stage 5 Recovery (pushing up onto fully straight arms) and Stage 6 Recovery (transferring independently). Just yesterday a gentleman in his sixties, diagnosed with a C6 complete injury over two years ago, walked 60 feet down the hall with the aid of knee immobilizers, a gait trainer and assist for forward leg progression. This particular man started our program with no triceps (Stage 3 Recovery), and with structural integrity work, laser, electrical stim, and sensory, he now can bench press 90 pounds!! and transfers independently!!

Most of our patients are willing to provide email addresses. One of our Never Ever Boys, Colin, has a thread on Care Cure called 'My Path of Recovery' (search on the home screen to find). Colin fractured his C4 and has made excellent and continued progress.....

Anyway, keep researching and let me know if I can help in any way.

Susan
    Hello Susan,

Are you offering Chad1856's brother free medical help or are you shamelessly "ambulance chasing" in our forum?

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Susan providing info on a novel approach

Bob, I am offering hope, information on a novel approach, and over 300 pages of documentation on SCI recovery to Chad and his brother. I believe it is important for them to not only know, and read about the various models of recovery that are out there, but to also get a chance to speak directly to people who are living it. I believe this forum is uniquely about communicating with persons about the possibilities that are out there. Knowing that structural work, combined with laser, sensory stim, electrical stim, and Stage focused exercise is making a significant difference in the recovery from SCI is important for persons with SCI to know about. Thank you for your inquiry, Susan

I just wanted to let you & your brother know that I also went to Shepherd. I was injured on Jan. 1st of this year, arrived at Shepherd on Feb 11th and stayed until April 18th then returned June 11th for 4 weeks of Day Program. I am a C6 complete with very good arm movement (tris & bis). The staff at Shepherd are just wonderful. I was with Jana and Jenny for inpatient theraphy--who works with your brother? Pass these thoughts along to you brother....I found that the therapists really do know what they are talking about even when you think they have lost their minds. Trust in their knowledge and in yourself. There were times when I thought there was no way I could do what they were trying to teach me but I can do those very things and even more now. It takes a lot of hard work but you can do anything you want to, you just need to figure out a new way. I truly believe that I would not be this far along if it wasn't for what I learned at Shepherd. I hope things go as well or better for you. If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to let me know.

It is what it is....nothing more nothing less

Hey Chad,

I think I may have met your father on the sixth floor lounge at the Shepherd center. I currently attend center IMT as well as beyond therapy. I have been very dedicated to recovery for a while now and will be happy to provide any information I can.

Colin