Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year Post injury

One year Post injury

Saturday was my first anniversary post injury. There's so much more I can do with more therapy and strengthening and I have a lot to learn. But I have also come a long way from those frightening weeks in ICU. I could not breathe on my own. I could not feed myself. I couldn't sleep. Now I sleep soundly. My spasms aren't psychotic. I know when I'm getting autonomic dysreflexia and what causes it. The Nerve pain in my hands aren't unbearable. I'm starting to wear my old clothes again. I'm starting to feel like myself again. So for those who have just been injured and see no end to what's ailing you right now: it does get better. Be strong, stay strong.

Im really glad to hear your doin well... it gives me even more hope

thank you

Glad your here, Rican, hope you find some good info here.

One year post SCI

Dear ricanstruction-

Some things get easier, some things get harder, but treasure the things you learn to do that you thought you could never do pre-injury or post injury. It may sound cryptic but when you find those "NEW THINGS" you may just suprise yourself.

Keep on Keeping on

It's been just over a year for me. The hardest part for me was missing out on my senior year of high school and now that all my friends have left for college it is extremely boring. My insurance is no longer paying for therapy also.

Good, Rican. I'm glad you're getting through the rough road. It is a tough one.

Wearing your old clothes is a big one. It wasn't too long ago that I put a pair of jeans on for the first time post injury. Made me feel like a real person again, just like you!

Quote Originally Posted by lcfbplyr21 View Post
    It's been just over a year for me. The hardest part for me was missing out on my senior year of high school and now that all my friends have left for college it is extremely boring. My insurance is no longer paying for therapy also.
    I knew two young cats in rehab who got injured playing football. One guy had tutoring after therapy and graduated with his class in June. I'm sure it wasn't easy but he had the drive to do it. Senior year isn't the same but then again I realize how much I've live life frivilously until my injury. On the therapy tip, nothing beats having a therapist to guide you, but try doing your own with weights, therabands. My therapy got cut too but I try to keep my own excercises.

Quote Originally Posted by lcfbplyr21 View Post
    I knew two young cats in rehab who got injured playing football. One guy had tutoring after therapy and graduated with his class in June. I'm sure it wasn't easy but he had the drive to do it. Senior year isn't the same but then again I realize how much I've live life frivilously until my injury. On the therapy tip, nothing beats having a therapist to guide you, but try doing your own with weights, therabands. My therapy got cut too but I try to keep up with my own excercises.

its been 17 months 4 me and im so focus... im a t7 and my fight is getting sound sleep... i have a idea and thats to get low air mattress but have not yet.. sleep is really tough for me but im trying to save money for that day i can get a new car... im very tempting to get it though now that its getting cold and the pain that comes with that, i end up strangling my self with cold pain and pressure relase pain tossing eachother round with the blanket as the referee... lol
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com