Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok...here goes

Well, at least it is better than caretaker, which is what my dad used to call himself (for my mother). I told him that a caretaker trims the lawn on an estate, etc., and a caregiver helps human beings....but "husband", "wife", "mother", etc. is even better..."helper" seems to work OK too. For their hired caregiver, we use the term PCA (personal care attendant).

(KLD)

Originally posted by hub:

Originally posted by kate:
    LMAO! Stormie, I wouldn't even post on this forum for the first six months I was here because I refused to call myself a caregiver, even when I actually kinda was one.
    I finally found a post where I can agree with KATE!!! hahahaha

Yea I have a real problem with the "caregiver" term.......I'm her husband, what I lack she makes up and where she lacks I make up......plain and simple....... the term can almost sound like a "second class citizen" at times..........Love is my payment and the bill is paid in full . . .
    Amen to that, hub! I knew we'd find some patch of common ground somewhere, somehow. You said it better than I ever have.

This is funny because I'm the exact opposite! I really like the term caregiver for me as Chad's wife because I *give* him *care*. I *care* about him. We call his attendant his
    "attendant", or PCA, personal care assistant precisely because it's more impersonal sounding than caregiver. I think of it with a hyphen in the middle: care-giver.

It's always amazing to me the power of words and how the sound and mean such different things to different people.

Love to all of us, whatever we are.

Ami

Yes Ami .. couldn't agree more!

Obieone

ami...i see your point, and maybe...just maybe i need to loosen up a bit. these days i'm wound up like a top...uuummm could it be the edy's ice cream. things r looking up

stormie

Originally posted by stormie427:

ami...i see your point, and maybe...just maybe i need to loosen up a bit. these days i'm wound up like a top...uuummm could it be the edy's ice cream. things r looking up

stormie
    Oh Stormie, I understand being wound like a top, believe me, I have my HIGH STRESS days too!!! Between a four year old, a frequently cranky PCA, my C4 guy, my full time job, and there being a mere 24 hours in each day, it's a miracle some days that I make through without screaming

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! !"

at the top of my lungs. Oh wait. Sometimes I DO do that! LOL! Pass the ice cream girlfriend

Ami

Ahhhh - I see we've gone from passing the pipe to passing the ice cream!

My 'wish' for the new year is that 'they' would quit doing all the useless studies on 'caregivers' and family members that 'show' how stressed we are, and use the money instead to get us some help!

2 thumbs up to that marmalady.

well guys...i'll fill u in on what on i was stressing about as of late. just 1 week before christmas jim's attendent informed him that he was changing jobs. how do home health agencys expect to get good/loyal employees if the pay "sucks"...no one with a family could live on what they make..at least not here in florida. jim and i couldn't have asked for a nicer and more trustworthy guy...he worked for jim in the morning only, but believe u me it helped me out greatly! so...with the holidays coming and that's stressful all in itself...i was freakin the agency never called, and i had wanted the new guy to see how derek did range of motion with jim and just get a good idea of the morning routine. was the so wrong
    i hate leaving jim to go to work and wonder most of the morning if anyone has showed up. we really lucked out with derek and he will be truly missed...he turned out to be a true friend and great employee! wish us luck...he starts tomorrow

stormie

ps: and yes i'll be sitting with a bowl of edy's ice cream tonight pondering about the week ahead.

I dont mind "caregiver" so much ....its "caretaker" that pushes my buttons.
    Like he's an inanimate object. JMO....pass the icecream please

Josephine, I agree - to me, 'caretaker' is someone who takes care of the grounds and and small 'prey' animals on an English estate! You know, they wear those funny little britches and white stockings, and have their gun cocked over their elbow, with a brace of pheasants in the other hand!

I'm proud to be a 'caregiver', tho - I think it's a wonderful, soft word, that unfortunately is getting overused, I think; mainly by the huge publicity the Alzheimer's community is getting.

Whatever we are - whatever we call ourselves - we have surely earned blessings somewhere.