Thread: HELP dr wise or sci nurse

HELP dr wise or sci nurse

I JUST GOT OUT OF HOSPITAL they put a pacemaker in against our wishes as my pulse was22 . i don/t know who put it in. but what i need to know is blood pressue is 134/52 use to be 70/56 in that range pluse is 72 used to be around 40 to 50 tha t was normal. i have called my regular dr but they closed. am i am dizzy can you give me idea if good or bad please

How did they do a surgery without your consent? Did you have a family member with medical POA do it because you were unable to participate in the decision making?

A pulse of 22 is definitely life-threatening. Usually medications would be tried to control this, but that is often not an option for anywhere but in the ICU. A pacemaker will usually be set to keep your pulse above 65 or so. This will often raise your blood pressure some as a very low pulse often cannot sustain a higher blood pressure.

Dizziness is unlikely to be from your blood pressure or pulse at that level, but much more likely related to how much time you spent in bed while in the hospital. Take it slow, gradually build up time sitting, and using TED hose and/or an abdominal to help you feel less dizzy when sitting up for a while.

(KLD)

i really have very little memory of the hospital all i remember is the dr telling me that he knew more than i did. i remenber they also did a test where they went down my throat to check acid and other things i was only sussoped to swell up for about 6 hrs but i swelled up for 5 days . irember the nurses trying to feed me as i was to weak. they sent me home on a monday pm and my son took me to piemont in atl/ tues i have no memory of that till fiday nite
    i had a siezure friday moening my sister and family were there to see it . they gave me a scan of brain i was fine just not in this world.i game back friday night. the let me loose to come home on monday 2 weeks ago.

i have a call in to upson hospital now to find out who did this pacemaker.
    but the blood pressure and pluse i just am on sure about it as mine has alway been super low and i function pretty good but now i just don/t know
    and no one istaking to me

I agree, a heart rate of 22 is life threatening. Generally unless you are an athlete your heart rate should not go below 50 or so. There will always be exceptions. If you can find it out from your hospital chart, post what rhythm your heart was in. This should be on the nurse's notes or doctor's notes. It may also be on the EKG itself but those interpretations may not be accurate.

Has your heart rate always been in the 40s-50s? What I have found to be the case is that over years these changes occur gradually and your body does a rather good job at adjusting. Also you may not detect the changes because they are so subtle.

Call the hospital and ask that your records for your stay be sent to you. Better yet write to them asking for the records. All of the info you seek will be in there... doctors names etc. Be sure to ask for all operative notes and chart notes. You probably signed a treatment permission slip when you were checked in. Gotta be careful here, sometimes they are worded to allow anything they deem necessary. Anything.

yes my heart rate has alway been in the 40's i was very fit and still am i lost 14lds in 2 weeks but my blood pressure and heart rate are low my brother heart rate is in the 30 to low 40. its just us scares they heck out of nurses till they get to know us lol

next question dr bowman at shepards said ok to ride fes bike i have a meeting with cardio rehah in 2 weeks with the fes bike.
    i am nerous and scared does antone one on this board have fes bike and pacemaker

Vjls, I had bradycardia following my SCI. My heart rate was in the low 30's, droping into the 20's during sleep. IMO, the medical staff seemed overly anxious to install a pacemaker. When they realized how resistant I was to that idea, they treated it with medication. It rose into the 40's and then they did the spinal cord decompression surgery, but they also made it clear to me that they may have to install the pacemaker (or at least a temporary one) if my heart rate did not remain steady during the operation--they had a cardiologist on my surgical team. Luckily, they did not have to go with the pacemaker and my heart rate returned to normal within a few days after the decompression.

But I know how confusing all the hospital paperwork can get. Once I'd been on morphine for 6 days, they could have probably gotten me to sign just about anything. I'm surprised I was even capable of signing my own name after the hell I went through once the hospital got ahold of me. Obviously, I'm no fan of doctors, nurses, nor insurance companies in general; but I have to give my surgeon some credit. He did a great job and definately saved my life. He was a good one, so many aren't. I'm sorry it sounds like you did not have the opportunity to truly provide informed consent.

i really don/t know they drs don/t know what happened or why.

i just want to stay strong and the fes bbike does that also coming down the pike. the robot suit from israel that i hope may get to us quads.
    and with this dam pacemaker i may be out not fair

FES or other electrical stim modalities (TENS, for example) are usually contraindicated in the presence of a pacemaker. You should discuss this with both your cardiologist and your physiatrist.

(KLD)