Thread: Grateful to be caregiving

Grateful to be caregiving

I was thinking recently of how grateful I am to be able to care for my son. I think I have finally gotten through the depression stage although I am sure there will be times of saddness. Some one wrote that they felt they had lost their life and I have felt that but now I have made a new life and it is not bad at all. I am so grateful that we have In Home Support Services that means I don't have to leave Chris alone at home to go out to work. Finances are very tight but I find that to be surprisingly liberating to be a light consumer. We are debt-free and greed free. We are now renters and so we are not owned by a house. When the plumbing breaks the landlord fixes it. I can open the balcony door most days here in SoCal and let the fresh air in.

Besides the gratefulness I feel, I think the one thing that got me out of depression that was around for over 2 years was to forgive. I have been so resistant to saying a prayer of forgiveness to all those who hurt us but I have been doing it anyway. I would think "what and let them walk away without any punishment after the evil they have done to us?" I'm not sure what the change in my heart was but I just used some prayer beads and at every bead a person came to mind and I would say "I forgive him/her, their punishment is not my concern." It seems to be working. Like a weight has been lifted.

I am also so thankful for this site for the people here who I love. Even though I mostly feel that I can't post, I come here every day and feel connected. Thanks guys.
    Darthe

"A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"

Darthe-

Thank you for this post. I am so happy that you are able to find some peace, some liberation. Sometimes I hate people who say "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." But most days I know they're right.

The best news of all is that you found the freedom of forgiveness. That has been a huge blessing in my life. I love what you said, "Their punishment is not my concern." You're very wise. I hope you have joyful and peaceful holidays-Beth

Can't stop the spirits when they need you/This life is more than just a read thru.-
    red Hot Chili Peppers

Thanks Betheny
    The one that always bugged me was "God won't give you more than you can endure". Probably true but not fun to hear from others when I was in the middle of it.

I have found the best way to have a peaceful Christmas. I ignore it completely. No stress, no new debt, no new pounds. Me and Jesus just stay home.
    Darthe

"A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"

"their punishment is not my concern" .... that is very liberating to me. Thank you for sharing that, even though it is very unrelated to SCI for me.

Ami