Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New SCI to my sister

Check your private messages! As I said, this is a long shot, but I will PM you the contact info for the attorney I mentioned. This attorney has taken at least 1 case pro bono for a young Oklahoman with a SCI, back in the 80's. He was good. Apparently he feels the need to give back to society. I'm hoping your sister's story will move him. Fingers crossed!

So sorry to hear about your sister.

I found the hospital social worker to be a great help.

Also, don't hesitate to sue anyone and everyone involved. Contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

I joke that I used to be a nice person before my son was injured, now, not so nice. You can't take no for an answer. Knock on every door possible, call every person and agency you can think of. Don't give up.

Hang in there.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

question

Thank you all for your replies. I'm back at the hospital in baton rouge. Beverly is making some progress. She passed her swallowing test and got to drink a coke. She was able to talk to me today with the valve on the vent, but it really wears her out.

I am very concerned about the swelling of her legs and feet. They are so big! The doctors and nurses keep saying it's to be expected. Is it? She has been on a diuretic but it has cause blood pressure to drop.

Christina A.

Christina I'm sorry to hear about your sister's accident.
    I hope you find a good rehab & she gets back alot of return.
    I'll be praying for your family. God bless y'all

Christina,
    Sorry I am so late joining this thread. The rule about waiting for medicare with a disability is only applicable to younger people. If your sister is already drawing Social Security she may be eligible now, but if not now she will be instantly elligible when she turns 65 with no two year wait. It sounds like she is progressing medically and it is great that she was able to pass her swallow test and enjoy a coke. Do not let them tell you about their lowered expectations because of her age. That is ageism, plain and simple if they try to pull that nonsense. While she might not have the stamina of a 25 year old she is deserving of good rehab. I am in my late 50's and have been a quadraplegic for decades now, and mostly I function independently. Lastly, I just want to tell you how lucky your sister is to have you in her corner, and what an enormous difference it will make.

Update on Beverly

It's been five weeks now since my sister's injury. I sent pleading letters and made phone calls to everyone and every where I could think of. The top rehab facilities all said no. I finally got a response from the Oklahoma Governer's office and we got Beverly moved to OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City last Friday. She is back in ICU because that is the only unit they have for vent patients, so it seems like a step backwards. We are happy with her care there so far.

She continues to have some problems with occasional high fever (105.8 highest!), no sleep, high and low heart rate (despite a pacemaker put in 10 days ago), edema in her legs and feet, and no appetite. We are able to communicate pretty well by reading her lips. She is spending 12 hours at a time on pressure support and we hope to try the oxygen collar soon. They have been using "the vest" on her since the transfer and it seems to be helping clear her lungs a lot. She has regained a lot of movement in her arms, but she is discouraged about the lack of movement in her fingers. She just had her first couple of occupational therapy sessions. She sat up in a bed side chair for a couple hours. She has an occasional spasm type movement in her right leg and foot.

One of my sister's toured the Jim Thorpe rehabilitation facility in Oklahoma City, and we are hoping she can be transfered there once she is off the vent. (I know it was recommended she not come to OKLAHOMA, but we didn't find any other options with the insurance problems!) We applied for her SS Disability and it is all on track.

Thanks again for your replies and pm's.

Christina A.

Hi new friend... I had to pick up a friend at the airport Tuesday night so decided to stop by and give you a hug....but, you'd left for a bit. Met your sis from Illinois and did a quick hello to Beverly...OSU saved my son's life so I won't bad mouth them...remember to BREATHE...and try and rest...Believe in miracles and know you have the strength to get through this...I got sooo tired of hearing that...but, it is true! sending hugs, judy

Christina,
    Thanks for the update on your sister, and it sounds great that she is recovering movement in her arms, and that she is now sitting up for a couple of hours too. Keep us posted, and good luck.

Sorry to hear this.I must have missed this on the news.I appreciate what she was doing for us around here.Hope everything gets resolved quickly.Best wishes.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Would it help if I came to visit? My family just had a close close call, and I'd consider it a gift if I were given the chance to give back something good to the universe, right about now.

Therte are worse places than Jim Thorpe. It's not my top 10, for sure, but it's far from my bottom 10.