Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone experience dreams while your half awake half not awake?

Talking Anyone experience dreams while your half awake half not awake?

Hello everyone!

Its very strange, ever since I can remember I've had very realistic freaky dreams when I'm in the state of almost sleeping but still awake.

But they don't seem like dreams because your still in the same world, your same surroundings except you can't speak or move and somthing freaky usually happens.

I'll tell you about a few of them I've had.
    Well to start off when I was younger, when it first started happening I was just about to fall asleep on my chair in my living room when I felt my body start to float, I couldn't move though or talk. I was trying to tell my mom in the other room to come in and see what was happening but nothing could come out and that started to freak me out so I tried to fight it and finally I did and I must have woke up. The feeling of floating happened a few times after that then stopped.

Now comes the more freaky ones. The first one happened when I was laying in my room, and my mom was also in her room. I was laying there and I could still hear everything going on in the background just like my other experiences, and then I started to hear this buzzing noise from behind my bed.

It started out really soft but then kept getting louder and louder like I could feel it coming closer to my head and then I started floating. This time though I knew the feeling so I wasn't scared as much. I then thought, well what if I don't try to wake myself up and I let myself float then what? Well I tried to let myself keep floating up but soon I couldn't help it because it felt like I was getting pretty high and I tried to wake myself up by yelling. I was trying to yell but all that was coming out was mu mu mum really lightly. But finally I got it out and I screamed mom really loud and she actually heard it and came in.

I forgot all about these events until I moved into this new place where I'm living now. Well I was alone in the house and I just moved my bed in so I was exhausted.

I layed down but I didn't want to go to bed because I was waiting for a phone call. But I must have fell asleep and didn't realize it. I then heard this breathing, like heavy breathing. So I quickly opened my eyes and I knew I was in that state again where I cant move or talk but I can see.

The breathing got closer and closer and I could actually feel the breath on the side of my face but I coudn't turn my neck and I started freaking out. I was reading to knock whatever it was out with my SCI fury but then my stomach went crazy, like it was spasiming all crazy like, it felt like somthing was trying to rip out of it or like bubbling is how I can describe it. I then woke up and my heart was beating super fast and my stomach was really tight, abnormally tight. That one was probably the most freakiest of them all.

The weird part is though, these dreams happen instantly, they arn't coming from deep sleep because that requires hours when these happen within minutes of me falling into that half sleep state.

Anyone else have these types of experiences?

Also did any of you ever have a moment where you thought you are trapped inside someone else and this new sci body really isn't you? I just had this feeling when i was in class a few days ago. I was day dreaming and I looked at my shoe and then I saw my wheelchair tire besides it, then I looked at the whole wheelchair besides my desk and I was like wow, this can't be me. I then looked at all the other kids in the classroom, all not in wheelchairs. I then thought, I'm that one kid in the classroom who's in the wheelchair? I felt like I should be on the outside looking at this kid who has the wheelchair besides his desk, not the other way around.

I should be the one wondering how he deals with life in that thing, or if he can still feel his penis. I then had this flash back when I was in school before I got hurt. I was in class sitting besides my roommate (which was the guy who wrecked my car) and there was a kid in a wheelchair. Only 1 thing came to mind when I looked at him, I wondered if he could feel his penis and how life must be horrible if he couldn't. I would then watch him struggle to move the desks around so he could fit in properly.

Its hard to explain. The feeling wasn't anger or depression, it was more like disbelief that this happened I guess. Its odd to have this feeling when I've had this SCI for awhile now, you would think I'd have this experience alittle sooner than this. I'm not depressed or anything, just a weird experience. Maybe its because my anniversary is coming up with this hell.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 10-12-2008 at 05:10 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Sounds like sleep paralysis to me.

My boyfriend has episodes quite regularly. He'll suddenly make this garbled noise, and I have to wake him up. It can happen seconds after he's fallen asleep.
    He feels like he can't move, and is usually having a bad dream, where he's trying to shout at something. He feels like he's awake, but cannot move. I shout until he's properly awake.

In the past, he felt what seemed to be presences, but this is quite a common thing with sleep paralysis, apparently.

keps,

yah that is exactly how it feels! Your yelling but what really comes out is just a whisper or a garbled noise. that's cool other people have that type of experience. I"ll have to Google sleep paralysis and see what its about.

After googling sleep paralysis it sounds exactly what happens, especially this quote:
    In some cases, when hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation. That has been called the “Hag Phenomena” and has been happening to people over the centuries. These things cause people much anxiety and terror, but there is no physical harm.
    This girl explains it perfectly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFalJ...eature=related
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 10-12-2008 at 05:21 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Sleep paralysis is a very interesting phenomenon. A lot of people who have the claimed alien encounters where the aliens come into their rooms to abduct them are actually experiencing sleep paralysis episodes. Vivid hallucinations are a common part of SP. Interestingly, humans have long applied cultural references to these episodes that correspond to the current knowledge or beliefs of the time. Long ago these episodes were thought to be a result of a nocturnal visit by an Incubus or a Succubus. Some believe that they are visited by angels. Some modern people attribute the occurences to aliens and their attempts to abduct humans. Again, just cultural references appropriate to the times you live in.

The other feelings of being dissociated from yourself are probably pretty normal too. I sometimes hear a word or read a word that suddenly doesnt seem to make any sense, or seems to sound or look odd to me for some reason. They are odd moments of intense focus. When you suddenly have the feeling of being outside yourself, it is not to worry. It is not worrisome unless the person is not aware of the dissociation at the time. Then they are just nuts

I think of those moments as my brain getting another piece of the puzzle that will eventually make up the total me. A moment of evolution.

So, Cory are they really little green men or are they tall Nordic types?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    keps,

yah that is exactly how it feels! Your yelling but what really comes out is just a whisper or a garbled noise. that's cool other people have that type of experience. I"ll have to Google sleep paralysis and see what its about.

After googling sleep paralysis it sounds exactly what happens, especially this quote:

This girl explains it perfectly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFalJ...eature=related
    Yep Mr C, my boyfriend feels like he's shouting properly, but to me it's often just like a weird noise, or sometimes a whisper. How intelligble my bf is to seems connected to how easy he is to wake. Like, on the rare occasions I can make out words from my bf, he's easy to wake. But if what comes out is really unintelligible, he seems harder to rouse.
    My bf tells me sometimes he knows he's dreaming, and is trying to shout himself awake because he can't move.
    He sometimes says his eyes were open, but I've seen them and they're shut.

I can't look at the video now, as my bf is nearby, and he hates to be reminded of sleep paralysis (I don't blame him at all).

@ Skippy - many years ago my bf had what felt like visitations by something not very nice.

I used to have intensely frightening episodes of sleep paralysis without the hallucinations. Once I found out what they were they became less frightening. Now when they happen I am aware of the sensations, and just get mildly annoyed instead. The more you can educate yourself about these episodes the less they can upset you when they happen.

Cory, get some doc to prescribe talwin for you for pain; then you'll see what it's like to have realistic dreams when you're awake.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I have that almost every day.
    Daniel

Talwin the "dreams" or both?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

You ever have the feeling of falling when you're in a semi-conscious state like this?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.