Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help no internet

help no internet

I've been having problems with my DSL disconnecting for no apparent reasons. It never did this before I moved (about 6 weeks ago)

Called ATT they reset my password blah blah still probs. I thought I had a virus or something (i'm not very computer savvy obviously)
    Today I downloaded AVG 8.0 and spybot did a disk cleanup and defrag. Now I can not connect at all. Spent an hour on the phone with my DSL provider.
    I can get online in safe mode so she says it's not their issue. A few minutes ago the red light came on my modem again even in safe mode. When I try to open explorer in regular mode it says it is trying to connect but never can or it freezes completely.

Any ideas what I should do?

I need help I have a midtern I have to take online by tomorrow night.

We have cable, not dsl, but when I have had similar problems, I have had to disconnect from the net, and then add it back on. As if you were connecting for the first time.

I'm not clear enough to talk you through it.

but .... mac, windows? xp or vista? whomever chimes in will need to know.

also wireless or not?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

already tried that

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I've been having problems with my DSL disconnecting for no apparent reasons. It never did this before I moved (about 6 weeks ago)
    Try to simplify the system....disconnect all phones from the outlets and just have your modem hooked up. If that helps it may be your DSL filter(s) or bad wires leading to your phone(s). Try swapping out the wire going to the modem and to the computer just in case there is a bad one there.

It is possilble you loosened a connection/component inside the computer as well. If you can try someone elses computer on your modem you can rule that out.

Having phone lines that run too close to fluorescent light fixtures or other EMF generating sources can cause problems too.

If possible, check your phone wiring in your new house. If you do not have cat 5e in place see if you could get someone to pull a new wire in, bypass all but the shortest route to where you can hook up your modem and a phone. Get your midterm finished and then fix the rest of the lines.

Good luck!
    Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Addiesue,
    if your new provider is different from your old one, check to see if they use a static or dhcp for your ip address.
    if your new provider uses a method different from your previous provider this will keep you from connecting.

Go to your start botton and click run. type in cmd.exe
    when the command console opens type 'ipconfig /all' with no quotes. this will give the info on your network card.write down the information.
    if it says dhcp and thats what AT&T uses then in the same window type,
    ipconfig /release
    then
    ipconfig /renew.

Also some network cards have a powersaving mode that allows the computer to turn the card off if idle for to long.
    Last edited by mizzootiger; 10-11-2008 at 02:42 AM.

the library?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Hi,

If the red light on the modem is on, What does the red light say?
    Is it the DSL sync light, or the local network?

Do you have DSL filters on all the other devices pluged into the phone
    line?

You should NOT have a filter on the DSL modem.

If you plug a phone into that jack, do you hear any noise or cracking?

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue

A few minutes ago the red light came on my modem again even in safe mode.

The red light says nothing. It is just red.? I think it is angry and not speaking to me today. ok sorry
    The red light is on the part that says internet. The ones for power ethernet dsl and activity are all green or blinking. I can get online but I get kicked off every so often so it thinks I finsihed my test. This happened on my first midterm. I only finished half. I don't know what my professor will thin of my excuse.I have one more due tonight by midnight. I am going to a friends. Still need to fix whatever is wrong.

yes there are filters on every phone. I have the same provider, a fairly new computer, and I haven't beeen looking at any naughty sites in a long time. I tried that ipconfig thing when I was on the phone with the help desk with my provider. Everything seemed ok. I called back today They are sending a new modem just in case that is the problem. I will try switching the wire and see what happens.

Are you using a NAT router e.g. Linksys, D-Link, Belkin?
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

no
    phone line in to modem out to computer.
    I wish I knew more about computers.