Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help no internet

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Are you using a NAT router e.g. Linksys, D-Link, Belkin?

Want to explain this more PN? When I had Addie's problem with my FIOS line Verizon sent me a new router and things were good again. That was like a year ago. But a few weeks back my secure connection suddenly tossed a quick error that Belkins had hooked up to me. That's not secure so quick disconnect, disabled that hook up as it's the only one in my area that's not secure and reconnected to my secure line. Just curious if Belkins is both a hardware and software maker.

AddueSue I hear ya. Just when a project is due AOL goes nuts and my other ISP doesn't like the university's secure upload site. Thankfully finals are at local proctored places.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Are you on wireless?..... You're really vague, but PN gave router makers, FIOS sent a modem router, most likely.
    What probably happened to you Sue, is your router hiccuped, your computer dropped the connection, so it picked up the next availible connection. Which was a Belkin router.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Just curious if Belkins is both a hardware and software maker.
    Hi Sue:

To my knowledge Belkin is in the business of making hardware. There is probably software that comes with the Belkin router. The router is a hardware firewall that sits between you and the Internet. It (router) allows traffic in that you have requested. The NAT router is better/safer than a software firewall because it can not be turned off by malware.

You may want to try Shieldsup and select All Service Ports to see if you are TruStealth.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    If it breaks ICMP break it with a hammer now. It probably breaks PMTU too. You can mitigate ping flood attacks by replying to unicast only and limiting rate. If node does not answer a ping it is by definition dead and belongs in the skip. What is Sheildsup excuse?

Why are you pulling up and responding to a 5 year old outdated thread???

(KLD)

How are you or did you post this if you didn't have internet. lol

Post 16, safe mode. This is from 2008 though.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Many home gateways are harmful

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Why are you pulling up and responding to a 5 year old outdated thread???

(KLD)
    People are still running Internet Protocol stacks with bugs over 2 decades old. Some home gateways still run Linux 2.4 and further broken by vendor. Stable Linux is 2.6. Microsoft has had ECN support since VISTA yet some home gateways sabotage this.

These black holes on the Internet are such a problem that I need to maintain a list of them so that I don't get sucked in.

Note impairment of electronic communications may be a crime under C'th Australian law.

http://bgc.com.au/policy/ecnlist.cgi