Thread: CPAP / BiPAP humidifier question, plugged nose

Question CPAP / BiPAP humidifier question, plugged nose

I've been sleeping like crap trying to get my BiPAP dialed in. Now my nose plugs up the moment I put the mask on. It's pretty dry where I live, hardly ever rains. Will using the humidifier keep my nose from plugging up?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Yes it makes a big difference. It helps if the air is warm too. I use a heated humidifier and an electrically heated tube from the humidifier to the mask. Also a Resmed full face mask, makes breathing a lot easier. A prescription spray for the nose can help.

Good luck with it,
    Thomas

I use a C-PAP with a heated humidifier. The humidity really helps. Also, I use Entsol saline nasal spray. It's an over the counter spray but is more highly concentrated than most. Most pharmacies don't keep it in stock, but will order it for you if you ask. Saline nasal sprays are safe and non-addictive.

When my allergies are bothering me, I use Nasacort. It's a steroid spray and it gives me headaches, but is worth the headache to make breathing easier when I have a cold or allergy problem.

I agree with ThomasB about the ResMed mask. It's very easy to wear regardless of whether you are sleeping on your back or your side.

Good luck.

I was using a ResMed full face mask but my pressure was so high, I kept getting leaks around the mask. The noise would wake and and scare the crap out of me because it was so loud.

I tried a nasal bridge and everything bad went away. I can have a stuffed/plugged nose and it still works. It is much small and I can even turn over while using it.

Good luck in getting yours functional.
    [/FONT]
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Thanks Thomas, Danine and Millard for your quick responses. I used the humidifier last night and it worked great, I hardly woke. I'll have to look into the masks mentioned, because what I use now leaks if I'm not positioned just right. Thanks again!

Glad I could help...wanted to add one thing...you should use distilled water for the humidifier. If you use tap water, mineral deposits are likely to build up in the equipment/tubing/mask/etc. I just buy jugs of distilled water at Wal-Mart. It's not expensive and worth the cost to keep the equipment clean. Good luck!