Thread: Motorized Wheelchair Survey

Motorized Wheelchair Survey

Hello. I am a senior electrical engineering major at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania. My senior design project is to implement ultrasonic sensors on a motorized wheelchair to detect its proximity to a wall or object when it is in motion. It potentially will notify the user of a close proximity object or stop motion. One requirement of the project's design is to obtain a survey of potential users to define the product's specifications.

If you have or currently are using a motorized wheelchair, I am asking for you to take this survey real quick. It should take no more than 10 minutes and would help me in completing this aspect of the project. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Please Click Here to take the survey. Thanks!

Mike C
    Lehigh '09

I started on the survey and realized that for me, having sensors on my power chair, would just be an annoyance.

I'm sure it would be a boon to others less practiced in the black art of joystick control or those with vision issues and wish you the best of luck with your project.

It would be most handy for behind the chair, but needs to allow for vehicle lifts and ramps.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Electric wheelchairs already have a sensor to detect close proximity to a wall or other object(s) - The eyes and ears of the cripple whose ass is strapped to it!

Just because we are disabled does not mean we lack the intellect to realize when we are dangerously close to an object. No offense, but your project has no real world application.

Now, if you can come up with something to help make it easier for me to take a dump.... Then you are on to something!

My wife is always running onto the sides of narrow (or not so narrow!) doorways. Don't know if a sensor would help there. Certainly not a buzzer or beeper.

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    My wife is always running onto the sides of narrow (or not so narrow!) doorways. Don't know if a sensor would help there. Certainly not a buzzer or beeper.
    Sounds like she needs some "curb feelers". Tacky enough on a car, unthinkable on a wheelchair.

Good luck on your project guy, I'm with Timaru, not sure if you're heading in the right direction on this one