Thread: Constipation

Constipation

I am constipated and I used miralax last night; poo moved but need to go more. Need advice. I have never been constipated this bad.

Generally, bulk your diet up with lots of fresh fruits and veggies.

For now, get and add a few tablespoons of flax or chia seeds to each meal. If you don't clear in less than 24 hrs I'll pay the cab to the ER.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Fiber is not a good method of management once you are constipated. It will help in PREVENTION of constipation.

Treatment at this point probably will need to be in the "big gun" range, and is likely to result in a bowel accident, so be prepared. You can do one or more of the following:

• Fleets oil retention enema, followed after 1-2 hours by a regular Fleets phosphosoda enema.
    • 2 tablespoons of milk of magnesia every 2 hours while awake until you produce a large stool. Take 2 Senakot at the time you begin this.
    • 1 tablespoon of Lactulose (may require a prescription) every hour while awake until you produce a large stool. Take 2 Senakot at the time you begin this.
    • 1 bottle of magnesium sulfate (well chilled).
    Following these, continue to do your regular bowel program, but be sure to do it daily. At the same time, work on increasing your high fiber foods or supplements, and increase your fluid intake to at least 3 quarts daily.

(KLD)