Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flu and Uti

Adi, your physician doesn't know what he is talking about. The only reasons to not get the flu shot are a fever within the last 24 hours, allergy to the flu vaccine, chicken or feathers or eggs, or history of Guillian Barre Syndrome. People with SCI are on the priority list published by the CDC for who should get a flu shot annually. In the VA, we have performance measures we have to meet regarding our % of SCI veterans who take their flu shots, and if we don't meet the minimum, the SCI chief physician at the SCI center does not get their usual bonus, and we all get hell.

(KLD)

I was offered the option of the flu shot or the nasal spray on Tuesday. I wish I had opted for the nasal spray, cuz I've been really sore since I got the shot. Argh!
    Daniel

It looks like the European doctors think different. I can't get the flu shot either from my doctor and my daughter who is a nurse has learned it is bad for me and say it will destroy my immune system.

I had it really bad last year, I was in the hospital for three days with 40 C in fever, so I hope I don't get it this year.
    TH 12, 43 years post

This reminds me to make an appt at the VA and get my shot. Will do it right away tomorrow.

Sorry you arent feeling well again ADI. I hope you and your sis feel better soon.

Got my flu shot about 2 weeks ago no problems.

I'm in bed with pretty much the same Adi. Fever, chills and a constant stream of piss that currently looks like apple juice.

I'm supposed to be on holiday from work de-stressing. Seems as soon as I slow down I fall ill
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    I'm in bed with pretty much the same Adi. Fever, chills and a constant stream of piss that currently looks like apple juice.

I'm supposed to be on holiday from work de-stressing. Seems as soon as I slow down I fall ill
    Sorry to hear Paul ..I feel like hell as well .I just took some theraflu [coldrex].ibuprofen and i wait for the lab results on monday [c&s]to see what antibiotic i need for uti....agrrrr...and next week is my birthday....
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Unhappy

You can add my name to this hateful list of SCI nightmares! GRRRRRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    It looks like the European doctors think different. I can't get the flu shot either from my doctor and my daughter who is a nurse has learned it is bad for me and say it will destroy my immune system.

I had it really bad last year, I was in the hospital for three days with 40 C in fever, so I hope I don't get it this year.
    WFE, can you get an article from your daughter that says why flu vaccine is bad for SCIs? Most medical journal articles written by Norwegians are in English. Actually all western European journal articles are in English now. Most of what I learned about Vitamin D deficiency was based on Norwegian studies on children in special schools getting ricketts. When the blood tests showed deficiencies in most the children with disabilities the schools required time out in the sun. They do this even in mid-winter when getting the children bundled up takes longer than 15 to 20 minutes outside facing the sun while playing. I can't imagine your country not getting influenza vaccine to everyone....unless there is a worry about mercury as a preservative?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.