Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Neurogel: an effective therapy for SCI

wise yeah, I looked back at that video of the sci cat walking, and ya, someone was holding it's tail up. My question is: is there an equvilant of that sorta stimulation for humans?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Originally Posted by lunasicc42
    why do you say it's a farse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Can go on denying for only so long.
    I know people working on Neurogel and associated therapies, and I can say it is everything but a farce. Whether it will be effective or not, time will say. If we don't try, we'll also not know. If we expect that everything is either black or white, we will be desillusionned.

The thing I know is that people working at this are serious, they are trying their best for all of us, and therefore their work should be looked at in a constructive way.

Corinne

Blog Entries

As stated by those more eloquent than I,

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I still don't understand why it's a farce.... The last comment didn't help. Can you please explain more, tim?
    the therapy is either going to work, work somewhat, or not at all.
    Not much room for ambiguity, just like: either black, white, or grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    the therapy is either going to work, work somewhat, or not at all.
    Not much room for ambiguity, just like: either black, white, or grey.
    Ok, all you have to do is wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    wise yeah, I looked back at that video of the sci cat walking, and ya, someone was holding it's tail up. My question is: is there an equvilant of that sorta stimulation for humans?
    Yes, I have talked about it. It is a epidural spinal cord stimulator placed on the lumbar enlargement to stimulate the central pattern generator (CPG). Do a search for Richard Hermann and CPG in this forum. Wise.

Dr. Wise:

I appreciate your recognizing the perserverance of the members of Neurogel en Marche Association, but allow me to comment on your response to the questions regarding the validity of Neurogel. I truly value your opinion and appreciate the opportunity to start a frank and spirited exchange. I'd like to start with some clarifying comments.

You wrote that you provided advice on Neurogel over 20 years ago: Neurogel was actually invented 15 years ago, in 1995; it was patented in 1998. Did you contact shareholders from Dr. Woerly's company in 1998 or 1999 to ask them to partner with Accorda Therapeutics?

Dr. Woerly did not retire; he works at the "Centre National Fran├žais de Recherche" in Grenoble, France. He is often published.

You discussed the video of the cat. However, the publications on Neurogel are far more significant. Of particular interest is the difference between the control cats that underwent a double section without Neurogel, and those that were treated with Neurogel. The publication on the use of the gel in chronic lesions is particularly noteworthy.

Comparing Neurogel to Matrigel would make the people who work on HPMA types of hydrogels smile. This comparison is meaningless since the characteristics of Neurogel have nothing to do with Matrigel's. Ask Professor Sykova. By the way, her upcoming publication in the Journal Stem Cells and Development will discuss "HPMA-RGD hydrogels seeded with mesenchymal stem cells improve functional outcome in chronic spinal cord injury"

Paralyzed people are striving to take Neurogel to human trial, this is indeed the truth. This product is safe. Given their dire circumstances, patients claim the right to take charge of their own body; they want to try this product, fully aware of possible risks and aware that the outcome may not be as expected. They rely on Neurogel en Marche's world reknown scientific council to provide them the support and counseling the medical research field has failed to give them, and which, speaking of ethics, may be questionable.

As a member of the International Association of Neurorestoratology, I am sure you adhere to its lofty mission statement and guidelines. I know the IANR encourages members in this field to " try their best to actively spread the concept of neurorestoratology, brave to explore the new strategies, constantly improve the intervention level, and thus satisfy the patients' expectations."

Could you possibly, with the 31 other researchers or only a few of them, including Pr. Sykova, put into practice the wonderful concepts and precepts developed by the IANR? Neurogel en Marche Association would be glad to provide you with lots of Neurogel at your convenience.

Please discuss this with your colleagues.

Thank you in advance, Dr. Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Rondio View Post
    Dr. Wise:

I appreciate your recognizing the perserverance of the members of Neurogel en Marche Association, but allow me to comment on your response to the questions regarding the validity of Neurogel. I truly value your opinion and appreciate the opportunity to start a frank and spirited exchange. I'd like to start with some clarifying comments.

You wrote that you provided advice on Neurogel over 20 years ago: Neurogel was actually invented 15 years ago, in 1995; it was patented in 1998. Did you contact shareholders from Dr. Woerly's company in 1998 or 1999 to ask them to partner with Accorda Therapeutics?

Dr. Woerly did not retire; he works at the "Centre National Fran├žais de Recherche" in Grenoble, France. He is often published.

You discussed the video of the cat. However, the publications on Neurogel are far more significant. Of particular interest is the difference between the control cats that underwent a double section without Neurogel, and those that were treated with Neurogel. The publication on the use of the gel in chronic lesions is particularly noteworthy.

Comparing Neurogel to Matrigel would make the people who work on HPMA types of hydrogels smile. This comparison is meaningless since the characteristics of Neurogel have nothing to do with Matrigel's. Ask Professor Sykova. By the way, her upcoming publication in the Journal Stem Cells and Development will discuss "HPMA-RGD hydrogels seeded with mesenchymal stem cells improve functional outcome in chronic spinal cord injury"

Paralyzed people are striving to take Neurogel to human trial, this is indeed the truth. This product is safe. Given their dire circumstances, patients claim the right to take charge of their own body; they want to try this product, fully aware of possible risks and aware that the outcome may not be as expected. They rely on Neurogel en Marche's world reknown scientific council to provide them the support and counseling the medical research field has failed to give them, and which, speaking of ethics, may be questionable.

As a member of the International Association of Neurorestoratology, I am sure you adhere to its lofty mission statement and guidelines. I know the IANR encourages members in this field to " try their best to actively spread the concept of neurorestoratology, brave to explore the new strategies, constantly improve the intervention level, and thus satisfy the patients' expectations."

Could you possibly, with the 31 other researchers or only a few of them, including Pr. Sykova, put into practice the wonderful concepts and precepts developed by the IANR? Neurogel en Marche Association would be glad to provide you with lots of Neurogel at your convenience.

Please discuss this with your colleagues.

Thank you in advance, Dr. Young.
    Pierre,

Thank you so much for your post. My memory fail me but I seem to remember having talked to people about neurogel when I was at NYU Medical Center (where I was from 1977 to 1997). I had helped found Acorda in 1995 with Ron Cohen. In those days, Acorda had no money (in fact, one could characterize it as a money sink) and therefore was in no condition to take on the challenge to developing Neurogel. I am also sorry for implying that Dr. Woerly has retired from science.

We are currently evaluating a variety of materials to hold cells for transplantation. I would be glad to include neurogel in the experiments.

Wise.

It's posts like these that help me endure this hell. Thank you.

I agree!

I agree with topperf!! There really is nothing more satisfying than reading a thread like this one! I am a C1, C2 Incomplete Quadriplegic. I can feel 100% of my body, I have the correct sensation (needle vs feather) in over 95% of my body, I have minimal range in my legs and just okay range in my upper body, and no use of my hands, and a 33 year diabetic. After 40 years of being ambulatory and five years of not being, discussions like this make my blood boil with anxiousness. I can't wait for future threads and articles like this past one!! I greatly thank everyone working on this issue.
    Bob

i had enough of threads and articels about how it could be done.. and how it will be done 100yrs from now..
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod