Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Neurogel: an effective therapy for SCI

Neurogel: an effective therapy for SCI

About a year ago, I joined Neurogel en Marche, a patient run association that owns the patent for Neurogel. There may other promising cures in the making out there, but this one is particularly interesting to me as a patient. For the first time, the handicapped person can be associated with and be party to cutting edge biomedical research comparable to that promoted by major institutional or medical entities.

Neurogel is a biomaterial which has the yet unpublished potential to therapeutically treat lesions of the spinal cord, and has already proven successful by testing on animals. Unprecedented in the medical world, the Neurogel therapy belongs to an Association of paralysed members. The Association encourages the researchers who have joined its scientific council to test Neurogel alone, or in combination with other drugs; making the biomaterial available to all accredited researchers with a protocol of achieving treatment and repair of the CNS. Dr. Young, as a member of Carecure.org, I have observed your incredible work and dedication. I wish we could add your name to the growing list of prestigious scientists who have agreed to become part of Neurogel en Marche's scientific council. It would be an honor to have you on board!

The primary objective of the Association is to set up clinical trials of Neurogel based upon the best pharmacological and physiotherapy technology currently available. As a patient-centered association, Neurogel en Marche intends to provide members priority in volunteering for these clinical trials as well as offer the opportunity to volunteer to handicapped individuals worldwide.

I am very excited by the progress made so far, and I invite you all to visit our website www.neurogelenmarche.org (Click on the British Flag in the upper left-hand corner for the English version.) Please address any questions you might have to Jean-Luc Gay, the President of the Association, or to Pierre Rondio, the Vice-President.

Here is Jean-Luc's latest update:

"The Association's Project is proceeding according to Dr. Decherchi’s schedule. According to his protocol, rats implanted with Neurogel will soon be subjected to analyses. The implantation of the second group of rats with a combination of Neurogel + Progesterone is about to begin. Implantation of Neurogel + EPO will follow. Mid-course through the pre-clinical protocol, Dr. Decherchi will give us a written update that we will post online, hopefully along with a video of the animals.

Barring any last minute glitch, the pre-clinical trial will take one year and will be followed by the scientific publication indispensable for the realization of a clinical trial. In parallel, Professor Eva Sykova in the Czech Republic, Professor Gorio in Italy, have started similar pre-clinical trials with the addition of mesenchymal stem cells. For the time being, their work is not advanced enough to allow any comments or conclusions."
    gretchen 1

thank you so much gretchen,

this sounds exciting
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

bump for dr. young

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Thank you Leo! Translating the website into English has been time-consuming. I hope people will find the time to take a look at it!
    gretchen 1

Good work, thank you.

Smile Happy Holidays

Here is Neurogel en Marche's very encouraging update:

Happy Holidays—here’s hoping we all have a great New Year,

The Association’s project is on schedule. We have pre-clinical trials underway designed to confirm the hypotheses expressed by over 23 researchers specialized in neurogenesis.

Four research teams in France, Italy, the Czech Republic, and the United States have started animal pre-clinical trials. They are in the process of testing the best Neurogel combinations designed to produce optimal recovery in paraplegics and quadraplegics.
    Obvioulsy the Association is still seeking to finance the pre-clinical trial in Marseille. We have sought the support of private companies, and thanks to the work of Mr. Peyras, our treasurer and fundraising manager, we have obtained about 4 000 €. Unfortunately, the desastrous economic context is putting a brake on our sponsors. So far, we have collected a total of de 25 560 € in donations. We are still waiting for the decision of the PACA region concerning our request for financial aid. In the meantime, we received a 2 500 € financial aid from the Mairie de Crolles (City).

Professor Eva Sykova, Institute of Experimental Medecine of the Academy of Science in the Czech Republic, has started our sponsored study. Professor Sykova’s team has started operating on rats with an old lesion—72 chronically injured rats which underwent an incomplete lesion of the spinal cord at T 8 level. This lesion was achieved by compressing the spinal cord with a small inflatable baloon. The lesion is therefore considered representative of a chronic and incomplete lesion. This type of lesion corresponds to the majority of lesions in people who have been paralyzed for several years. Even when paralysis is complete, the lesion itself is almost always incomplete. Similar to studies underway in Marseille and in Milan, Professor Sykova will also treat some rats with mesenchymal stem cells (MSC). The decision to add these groups resulted in the need to redefine the pre-clinical protocols. Although time consuming, recent publications and data regarding the link between EPO-MSC and progesterone were considered too crucial to ignore.

We now know that mesenchymal stem cells initiate neurogenesis (neuronal regeneration) in the Central Nervous System (CNS) when exposed to erythropoïetine (EPO). Without EPO, MSC do not produce regeneration of the CNS. MSC are autologous stem cells, which eliminate the risk of rejection are taken from the patient, in this case, from the rat. Also, the progesterone is important because it stimulates the growth and proliferation of the mesenchymal stem cells.

Professeur Decherchi’s research team is completing operations on rats treated with Neurogel, Neurogel + Progesterone, as well as on a control group. The team will begin with groups including EPO; then, they will work in collobaration with the Czech Republic on groups treated with MSC. Professor Decherchi’s is the only laboratory researching the effects upon acute, complete lesions created by a double section of the spinal cord. As a result, there will be no doubt that any regeneration is due to Neurogel and the various combinations. This trial will serve to further substantiate the results obtained by Sykova, Gorio or Zu-Lin-chen and dispel any doubts regarding the efficacy of Neurogel.

In the meantime, we are awaiting a summary of Professor Gorio’s work. He has also started trials on rats with an incomplete chronic lesion. Although we want to proceed quickly, we must ensure we have accurate and complete results from all the studies that can be published in scientific journals.

Once pre-clinical trials are complete, we can then proceed with human trials. Professor Eva Sykova is extremely confident that once the results of this study are complete, we should be able to proceed to human clinical trials quickly. We are currently discussing a double trial in France and in the Czech Republic using the best combinations from the pre-clinical trials.

Following is a brief summary of our plans:
    - Present the results of the chronic and acute models in Spring 2009; produce video documenting these studies.
    - Anticipating completion and documentation of the clinical trials, we have already started contacting twenty associations of handicapped people and have asked them to partner and support our project. This includes soliciting the collaboration of the Institut sur le Cerveau et la Moelle épinière (Brain and Spinal Cord Institute), La Fondation Internationale du Handicap (International Foundation for Disability), La Fondation pour la Recherche sur La Moelle Epinière (Spinal Cord Research Foundation) , L’Institut de Recherche Sur la Paralysie (Paralysis Research Institute)
    - Following the final results of the pre-clinical trials, establish contacts with the authorities in charge of the clinical trials to request authorization for a clinical trial. Dr. Eric Pinet, who created his company for the sole purpose of manufacturing Neurogel, is already busy gathering information to establish his role in future clinical trials. In the interest and well-being of all concerned parties, we want and must work in a spirit of collaboration.
    - The Association will aggressively lead efforts to finance and set up human clinical trials--once the pre-clinical trials confirm the hypotheses expressed by over 20 researchers specialized in neurogenesis, we will seek the support of financial institutions, sponsors, politicians, governments, institutional and private promoters, as well as the media.
    - The Association will seek the interventions of institutional promoters (INSERM, CNRS, Les Délégations Interrégionales * la Recherche Clinique (Inter-regional Delegations for Clinical Research), L’APHP).
    - Finally, for those who wish to improve their knowledge of anatomy, we are starting a heading on our website that describes in further detail the spinal cord and the principle of repair through Neurogel and hormones. This discussion will be refined and completed to include the role of mesenchymal stem cells.

This list of actions is not exhaustive of course and an update will be provided in the future. .

We hope this summary has been helpful and that the year 2009 will be prove to be a hallmark of our successful research initiatives. We wish you all a Merry Christmas and happy holiday season.

Jean-Luc Gay, President, Neurogel en Marche
    Pierre Rondio, Vice-President.
    Last edited by gretchen; 12-23-2008 at 10:43 AM.
    gretchen 1

Thank you Gretchen. This something to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by gretchen View Post
    We now know that mesenchymal stem cells initiate neurogenesis (neuronal regeneration) in the Central Nervous System (CNS) when exposed to erythropoïetine (EPO). Without EPO, MSC do not produce regeneration of the CNS. MSC are autologous stem cells, which eliminate the risk of rejection are taken from the patient, in this case, from the rat. Also, the progesterone is important because it stimulates the growth and proliferation of the mesenchymal stem cells.
    I find this is very interensting as I belived MSC can't help cure SCI.

thanks for the update gretchen,

very exciting to see them working together

Quote Originally Posted by gretchen View Post
    Translating the website into English has been time-consuming.
    In case you didn't know: maybe Google Translate could have helped? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Translate
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates