Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Green Tea?

Best Green Tea?

I know I'm being lazy - I might get the answer to this by searching -
    How can I determine the quality of green tea in shops?
    Right now I buy boxes of 100 bags at @ $5 a box at local "Asian" market.
    How do I know I'm getting good stuff. Where can I get info?

Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    I know I'm being lazy - I might get the answer to this by searching -
    How can I determine the quality of green tea in shops?
    Right now I buy boxes of 100 bags at @ $5 a box at local "Asian" market.
    How do I know I'm getting good stuff. Where can I get info?

Thanks

Hello! You're springing to the tune of five cents a cup for your tea and you're thinking you might not be getting the best/better tea out there?

Grasshopper.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Thanks - I might be drinking brewed rust flakes for all I know.

Question for Juke-Spin

ok - I'm going to try getting loose green tea online.
    What do you recommend when it comes to brewing?
    Any recommendations on "hardware".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    ok - I'm going to try getting loose green tea online.
    What do you recommend when it comes to brewing?
    Any recommendations on "hardware".

Thanks
    You're asking a self professed tea junky/fanatic for advice on tea hardware? OK. Here's a little insight on how realistic my advice can be expected to be: I just ordered a monster kyusu through ebay. That's a side-handled teapot mostly found/favored in China and Japan, when it's favored at all. Do I have a need for an eight cup kyusu? Er, , I'll use it, if only to justify having got it but that four pounds may be too much of a workout for this old guy.

You've been using single teabags so you'd seem to be happy with brewing/infusing a small amt. of tea at a time. A big consideration in brewing green teas is that most are sensitive to overbrewing; they're infused in water some 20+ degrees below boiling and may do best with as little as a two minute 1st brew time. If the pot you're using doesn't allow fairly rapid decanting the last tea out will be overbrewed - that's assuming the first tea out was properly brewed. This is one of the reasons many orientals and tea aficionados like the kyusu; they've got big internal ball strainers that prevent clogging and they've got generous spouts - so they pour reliably and fast.

I like ebay for my teapot deals although I've got some from internet tea stores and I've yet to be disappointed with any of them I've purchased.

Next you need to consider the price range you're willing to consider. You can get a decent pot in ceramic or glass for about twenty bucks and a good one in the thirty dollar range. There's a few other accessories that can make the whole tea brewing experience more precise and fun, with a thermometer right up near the top of the list.

To me the most significant thing about making the decision to go to loose tea is opening up a whole world of possible teas that normally never get put inside teabags - most of them far superior to anything that is - and that for what you spend you'll get better tea by far.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 10-09-2008 at 12:35 AM.

Basically - I started drinking @ 1 qt. of cold green tea per day.
    I brew about 20 tea bags to make 3 qts. and save them in the fridge.
    I had started with Bigelow bags from the supermarket but then assumed that the 100 count boxes from the Asian grocery would be a good value.

So, I want a way to brew at least 2 quarts at a time for green iced tea.
    I have to stop at a local kitchenware chain to get a new paring knife and thought I'd see what they have there (Linens and Things) in the way of tea products.

I will start ordering from one of the online sources you've mentioned in past posts.

Thanks

Garvey white tea has more antioxidants than green tea.

Hey, Garvey, why didn't you tell us you were lookin for the maximum antioxidants?

I didn't know about white tea. I assumed green tea was giving me the antioxidants along with protection from kidney/bladder stones and a good caffeine delivery system that doesn't induce the peaks and troughs that come from coffee ( I love coffee).
    I'm eager to learn whatever I can
    Thanks

Garvey, while it's true that white tea has more antioxidants than green that is because it's made of the earliest, immature leaf buds which haven't had a long enough exposure to sunlight to develop significant taste. In all the islands of the Japans only green teas are produced; the Japanese are rightly regarded as the master green tea experts and connoisseurs on the planet. They will pay in the thousands of equivalent US dollars (in yen) per pound for the finest of green teas. Each of these highly prized teas started out its bud life as what could more easily have become white tea - if the tea grower didn't have the experience and wisdom to wait the harvest for the peak of taste and tea producing/drinking experience. White teas deliver in the antioxidant area (but so also do greens) at the price of being weak in the flavor area and relatively over priced for what you're getting in the overall.

Go with a top grade sencha (means "cha" or "tea" in Japanese) or gyokuro ordered direct from Japan.* At least know if you want to drink white tea that you'll pay more and enjoy less and not get enough more health-wise from it to justify the trade-off.

* Link
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane