Thread: Bad day ... r/t weekly rounds

Bad day ... r/t weekly rounds

I felt was suckered punch today. I just walked out of the weekly team meeting. I was told he is still a complete despite what I have observed myself. She said " he has no anal spincter" I said he has felt therometers in his anus at times" and she said " I have examined him before he he is a complete". She said I will test him on rounds tomorrow, but Do n do not expect anything new. She said "I should face reality and don't get so wrapped up with hope. I explained he has C-7 and it is only 5 weeks and it is early. She Said" he has been out of spinal shock for 2 weeks already and he has not gained anything new , and do not expect any substansial return ie: fingers or hands because he is a complete" I mentioned what Dr. Young has written here and she said "it is overly optimistic" and I should again face reality because he is a complete. I am soooo upset I can't even face my son today.

Joe, Oh man, it hurts doesn't it. They said the same thing to us after my brother's injury. I found the best thing to do was just nod my head, keep encouraging my brother to get all that he could and fight for rehab. I have come to think that most physiatrists tend to repeat that well-used phrase.....Hope for the best, but work with what you have. I interpreted that for my brother to keep working hard, stay in shape, reach for more and be ready for the future. Don't let them get you down. Progress can be made for more than the period of spinal shock, but their job, as they see it is to get the client thru the hoops that the insurance company demand for rehab. If your son is optimistic and has support that can help him to work hard, that is what is important. Don't burn your bridges with the doc's, you may need their script for future therapies, but take their diagnosis with a grain of salt. Even if he is 'complete' working hard, learning how to use what he has and adaptation for ADL's won't hurt for a future cure.

Don't get caught up in what these dr say they cannot predict the future. I am a C-7 and my husband was told the same thing. I was a complete and was changed to an incomplete about 7-8 weeks out. i have alot of use of my hands and most of my fingers. Do not let the docs get you down...no one really knows only time will telland 5 weeks is way too early to make such predictions!

Joe, I'd just like to add to what Elaine and lilsister already said; that it's far too early to give up hope; 'empiric' evidence from these forums alone will show you that people have regained sensory and function for far longer than five weeks.

As far as the 'complete'/'incomplete' 'label', try not to get too wrapped up in it. I know - 'complete' sounds like such a final word. I learned early on not to focus on that word, but to focus on what my son could do and was regaining.

I have every confidence in the world that your son, too, will continue to regain some function and sensory. Don't let this rock you too much. It doesn't have anything to do with his therapies, or rehab or anything - it's just a label.

Hang tough - and stay in touch - and here's a (((((((BIG HUG))))))))!

Jackie

Words hurt. From a c6 complete don't let semantics get in the way of how you interact with your son. If you view him as "complete" he will end up that way. PT told my family i wouldn't be able to do this or that. We were of th mindset to prove them wrong. My family never viewed me as a person with a disability......still me sitting down.

just another way to look at things.....

*Vote for Change 2004*

I'm angry on your behalf, Joe, and I don't even know you! It may be true that your son will recover no more than he currently has, but it is also true that NO doctor, no matter how experienced or how knowledgeable, can say at 5 weeks post what the longterm outcome will be.

Neurology is all about statistics--she may know the probability of certain outcomes, but she does NOT know for sure which patient will surprise her in the end.

There's no point in arguing or taking her comments to heart; my advice is to smile and nod and keep your eyes open. In our case, not one doctor said anything even mildly encouraging, not even after my husband was suddenly able to wriggle his toes. It was the nurses who offered us a tiny bit of breathing space, which is why I show up on the floor every year with pies. I'm still grateful . . . I think that this practice of instructing patients and their families to "face reality" is cruel and evidence that the physician is in the wrong line of work.

I loved reading your post about your son's day out of re-hab, BTW. He's lucky to be your son.

thank you for your kind words and wisdom. I will tae to heart what you all said. I know it is early 5 weeks.. I will keep praying for some more return for my son. He is very courageous and strong. All i want is for his fingers to work..