Thread: can someone explain this to me?

can someone explain this to me?

Hi,
    I was in TWO rear end collisions in Feb/08. After intense neck pain, headaches...they ordered an MRI in May. This one showed two herniated discs a small on at c5-6 and a large one at c6-7 with moderate soinal canal stenosis.

The drs ordered PT and did another mri in september. This one showed a very large central and left para central disc herniation at c6-7 that is causing moderate mass effect on the ventral aspect of the spinal cord to the left extending to the left neural foramina.

There is also a slight increase in signal here indicating mild myelomalacia/spinal corde edema.

THere is also a slight loss of normal lordosis?

What does this mean? The drs are talking surgery. I have pain in left arm...sometimes cant feel deltoind or hands, feet tingle, legs wobble sometimes, feet cold too, muscle spasms on left side of body? Ear pressure, pain, headaches, vertigo?

Is there anything I can do? Ice more? More PT? Dr wont tell me anything sent me to neurosurgeon?

Can someone at least explain what is going on...please? Also I am tapering from valium which they gave me to sleep...down to 1.25 mg? Can the drug be doing this?

Please help
    Cathy

It sounds like you have compression of your arm nerve and spinal cord from the ruptured disks. You will probably need at least injection therapy if not surgery, and it is better to do it sooner than later with the type of symptoms you have. Your headaches, etc. are more likely late effects of the whiplash and minor brain injury you sustained at the same time. They are likely to improve with time, but since they have continued for more than 3-6 months you should see a good neurologist.

(KLD)

Thank you very much.....I will look into that...God Bless...

Cathy

HI,
    Neurologist says they are trauma induced headaches...and wont give me any answers as to whaty I can do...I just ice my temples and back of the head....

Dr said initially no surgery lets try PT...I have for 4-5 months now....I cant take anti-inflammatories as I injured my left vestibular nerve and they set the spinning off....I had brain spinning for three months with vomitting very severe and was hospitalized....the spinning stopped but I get dizzy with the vertigo...I also have hypercussus and tinnitus.... I think tinnitus due to the valium they put me on?

Now that dr is seeing myleomalacia he is saying surgery.....I still need to see the neurosurgeon....dr says that injections wont work as the cord is compressed and not enough room?

Is there anything else I can do?....I am willing to give the anti-inflammatorties a try again as the spinning stopped in late June?

Are the ear pressure pain, hyperacusses related to the neck injury some how? when I was higher up on the valium....didn't get these symptoms?....Dr says all muscle related from the wiplash?

CVan you help me understand this? I am a single parent....and really need to understand what my future wil be....

Thank You

Cathy