Bowel Care?

What do you use for your bowel care?

Supp
    Dig Stim
    both?

toilet
    commode chair
    ect.

Im using a magic bullet on the toilet. but am thinking about trying just dig. stim? has this worked well for people? How do you go about doing it?

I use dig stim right now and it works pretty well, but I am looking into dig stim, plus magic bullet in the future. I want to become independent with my bowel care.

A complete bowel program consists of a combination of these 5 components:

1. Diet & fluids
    2. Medications (including suppositories for some)
    3. Timing and Frequency
    4. Techniques (dig stim, manual removal, abdominal massage, etc.)
    5. Equipment (commodes, raised toilet seats, supp. inserters, etc.)

It is helpful to describe your entire program using this framework for completeness and comparison with others.

It is also helpful to know if the person has a lower motor neuron (LMN) or upper motor neuron (UMN) bowel are there can be major differences in programs between these types.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    A complete bowel program consists of a combination of these 5 components:

1. Diet & fluids
    2. Medications (including suppositories for some)
    3. Timing and Frequency
    4. Techniques (dig stim, manual removal, abdominal massage, etc.)
    5. Equipment (commodes, raised toilet seats, supp. inserters, etc.)

It is helpful to describe your entire program using this framework for completeness and comparison with others.

It is also helpful to know if the person has a lower motor neuron (LMN) or upper motor neuron (UMN) bowel are there can be major differences in programs between these types.

(KLD)
    Thanks, I have a question. actually a couple.

for starters when i do my bowel care i transfer onto the toilet and then insert the supp. but usually after a few seconds the supp. comes out, but i still have good a BM, and as of lately no accidents wat so ever. so is there even a point in using the supp.??? becuase from what i heard using supp. arent normally good in the long run right?

and as far as LMN and UMN im not sure what mine is, i know my bowels arent flaccid. Its normally very tight and after i am trying to insert supp. it will start to ease up. and when i wipe afterwards it causes my legs to twitch kinda.

What type of suppository are you using? This makes a difference.

If your anal sphincter is normally tight, and you have a positive bulbocavernosus (BC) reflex, you have an upper motor neuron bowel.

(KLD)

UMN bowel
    dig. stim/manual removal
    commode chair over toilet
    takes about 20-30 mins. every morning
    T8 complete

i shower everyday at 10 so i get in my shower chair and so a manual removal/dig stim. quick and easy for me.
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    What type of suppository are you using? This makes a difference.

If your anal sphincter is normally tight, and you have a positive bulbocavernosus (BC) reflex, you have an upper motor neuron bowel.

(KLD)
    Magic Bullet

It is probably doing nothing. Try doing your bowel care with just the dig stim and see if that doesn't work for you.

(KLD)

every 3rd day for me start wif bullet then manual stim takes about 20- 30 mins then fine for another 3days, lucky.