Thread: DDD? I need some info.

Unhappy DDD? I need some info.

About a year and a half ago, I had been having 2-3 wk periods where I was incapable of doing any thing as far as motion due to back and leg pain every few months. My then Gp sent me for an MRI which found a concentric bulging disc at L4-5 after several episodes. I was then diagnosed with DDD.

About 3 months ago, my back started up again, and the pain was more severe than ever-I went to my new GP -after the pain did not get any better even with rest and painkillers (those helped considerably in the past.) She sent me for a new Mri. (below)

I am taking neurontin, Ibuprofen, flexaril, ultram, and am on my third run of steroids with no relief. Neither the Gp nor the ER are giving me anything additional for the pain, and I can't seem to do any of my normal activities-housework, standing, walking or sitting.

I get low back pain, and pain in my buttocks which shoots down both legs. About 6 wks ago, my bladder and bowels started leaking a bit as well.

The pain is also causing my BP to skyrocket as well-usually 90/50-now136/85

I am 31 yrs old, 6 ft, and 198lbs, and also suffer from fibromyalgia.
    Any advice?

Will update after I get the report from the thoracic MRI.

I got this report 3 days ago from the MRI I had done a few weeks ago.

MRI lumbar spine:

Multiplanar sequencing performed. No IV contrast administered.

Indication: Radiculopathy. Low back pain

Findings: There is disc desiccation involving L3-4, L4-5. There is no evidence of focal vertebral body height loss or marrow edema. The conus appears to be high riding and is higher than T12. I would reccomend correlation with thoracic spine MRI to delineate the conus and it's integrity.

L1-2: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis.

L2-3: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis.

L3-4: Broad-based posterior disc bulge and mild thecal sac deformity. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is mild bilateral neural foraminal encroachment and no central spinal canal stenosis.

L4-5: Broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal stenosis.

L5-S1: There is epidural lipomatosis. There is broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening.There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal narrowing primarily due to epidural lipomatosis.

Impression: The conus higher than T12. Correlation with thoracic MRI advised. Mild degenerative features otherwise outlined as described above.

You need to see a good neurosurgeon who specializes in spinal surgery. Be sure to get at least one further opinion before opting for any surgical procedures though, as there is a high rate of failure with these surgeries. The second opinion could be another neurosurgeon or an orthopedist who specializes in back surgery.

(KLD)

I have an appt. with a neurosurgeon on the 26th, I was just hoping for some more info before then-I havn't had much luck looking up the medical terms myself.

Definitly need to get checked out , I've had back prob's for 20 yrs, 12 back surgeries, and as I understood, when bladder and bowels start to slide , so to speak, it's pretty serious. In fact I was told to be vERY careful if that happens as paralysis could be close on,again, just what my surgeon told me.Good luck.

DDD should be taken seriously. My SCI was directly related to a calcified disc that herniated and sent bone spurs into my cord. In my experience, it's difficult to get doc's to take the condition seriously. I had to have an SCI before anyone was willing to do anything for me.