Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: high level scientific meeting on movement recovery

Easy there Wise, we're not all doctors and I had never heard the term transected. Thanks, for answering it for the umpteenth time.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    Easy there Wise, we're not all doctors and I had never heard the term transected. Thanks, for answering it for the umpteenth time.
    Transected means severed if i am not wrong?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago View Post
    Transected means severed if i am not wrong?
    Adi, that is correct. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post

Sorry... to tell you the truth, I don't like the word "complete" either. Usually, the adjective when applied to spinal cord injury means the absence of voluntary movement and conscious sensation below the injury site. In 1990, the American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA) introduced the classification system that defined ASIA A has a person who has a segmental level below which the person has no voluntary movement in key muscles and no conscious pinprick or touch sensation.

The problem is that not only people but doctors use these labels to take hope away from people and make prognostic judgments that are simply not supportable with data. Many people with "complete" spinal cord injuries do recover some function. A few recover substantial function. A person with so-called incomplete function with some motor function below the injury level is likely to recover substantial motor function including walking.

Wise.

I agree with the word "complete". It has stopped all the traditional PT's from seeing beyond the normal ROM and day to day stuff. You keep talking about many do recover function or some function. What might that be? I am T8 and have had many new and different feelings, etc. I know every injury is different but what are the typical things that I could recover? Thanks.

Wise, I found those links myself easy, hence my question after, but who are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Wise, I found those links myself easy, hence my question after, but who are they?
    Leif,

I would contact them, tell them you have a lot of money you want to donate for SCI research etc. They will come and meet you at your house

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    He is a Norwegian quadriplegic who funded the program. He is walking with a four-point walker and is clearly very interested in research and quite skeptical about the usefulness of the meeting at the beginning but convinced later that it was very useful. I had not met him (at least not that I remember) before and he seems to be quite well versed in research. I thought that you would have known him.

Wise.