Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: high level scientific meeting on movement recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Young
    There is now an openness and acceptance that recovery can occur without repair, regeneration, and remyelination.
    I am competely lost. Do you mean activity based recovery?

Did any of them have a timeline on when this could be possible? I think I have heard 3 -- 5 years, that's right that was my other doctor. Hummm tell me that again October 30, 12 year anniversary C3 complete. Missing the best years of my life. But at least they are confident it will happen.
    keiffer66

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    I am competely lost. Do you mean activity based recovery?
    Yes, both spontaneous and activity-based recovery. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Did any of them have a timeline on when this could be possible? I think I have heard 3 -- 5 years, that's right that was my other doctor. Hummm tell me that again October 30, 12 year anniversary C3 complete. Missing the best years of my life. But at least they are confident it will happen.
    Keith, people were shying away from predicting timelines. We all knew that such predictions were useless because they require assumptions concerning funding, resources, people, and commitment.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by justbecrusin
    IS there any media has recorded that event ?
    It was a very intimate meeting. I think some people were video taping or photographing portions of it. Much of the exchange in the meeting actually occurred in the hallways, at the coffee breaks, or the evening activities.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1
    Dr. Young,

All very interesting. Thank you.

Can you be more explicit about the idea that "long tract regeneration is neither necessary nor sufficient for regeneration"?

Also, about the growing acceptance that "recovery can occur without repair, regeneration, and remyelination." Is this a reference to activity-based recovery?
    I am sorry for being cryptic but I meant it in the cryptic sense. There are now many studies that suggest that people with so-called "incomplete" spinal cord injury recover walking if they engage in locomotor training activities. There is now widespread acceptance of the concept that animals with transected spinal cords can be trained to step (even though it is not controlled by the brain).

Thus, the fact that recovery can occur in many people without biological therapies being applied suggests that applied repair, regeneration, and remyelination (it may occur spontaneously) is not necessary for recovery. The more interesting recognition that is beginning to occur at this meeting is that repair, regeneratin, and remyelination alone may not be sufficient for recovery. If one does not have rehabilitation after these therapies, there will be no recovery. Again, the evidence is clear. If patients are told to sit in a chair and do nothing, that is essentially what will happen: nothing.

So, that is the basis of my statement that the three R's are not necessary nor sufficient for recovery.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Young
    Thus, the fact that recovery can occur in many people without biological therapies being applied suggests that applied repair, regeneration, and remyelination (it may occur spontaneously) is not necessary for recovery. The more interesting recognition that is beginning to occur at this meeting is that repair, regeneratin, and remyelination alone may not be sufficient for recovery. If one does not have rehabilitation after these therapies, there will be no recovery. Again, the evidence is clear. If patients are told to sit in a chair and do nothing, that is essentially what will happen: nothing.

So, that is the basis of my statement that the three R's are not necessary nor sufficient for recovery.
    I have a question; what about all those that have participated in activity based recovery, conducted treadmill supported ambulation therapy, exercised regularly, and got nothing?
    Last edited by Schmeky; 10-12-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Dr. young, it sounds like exciting news. I'm a C4, incomplete, Asia C six years December. I registered for the NRN locomotor program at Kessler a year ago, still waiting my turn.
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pell
    Dr. young, it sounds like exciting news. I'm a C4, incomplete, Asia C six years December. I registered for the NRN locomotor program at Kessler a year ago, still waiting my turn.
    Good luck Mike,

this points out why we need the CDRPA-increase NIH funding, yada yada

as Mike pointed out still waiting his turn

we don't want that
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Good luck Mike,

this points out why we need the CDRPA-increase NIH funding, yada yada

as Mike pointed out still waiting his turn

we don't want that

As far as the CDRPA , I've called Senator Harkin to thank him for his incredible efforts. I called both my senators in PA, as well as Senator Coburn. Unfortunately as for Senator Coburn, he like many others won't change until SCI hits close to home.
    Mike P.