Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SCI

New SCI

Hello, I'm new to CC. Glad to be here.L1/ incomplete. Zepstones

Welcome

This is a great site for information. I do am a L1 incomplete injuried in July 07.

Welcome Zepstones. Post often.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepstones
    Hello, I'm new to CC. Glad to be here.L1/ incomplete. Zepstones
    Sorry you had to find this group. But we're glad you found us. You'll get a lot of great support from the other knowledgeable members in the group.
    I've learned a lot since I joined the group.

Yeah, welcome aboard ZepStones, sorry about your injury.

Hello and welcome. I don't feel so new to the forum anymore. Thanks!

Hi Zepstones.

Great you are here. Welcome.

My dad is L1 incomplete too, 10 months out. We look forward to hearing about your rehab and exercise progress. I hope every day is a little better then the one before. You can do it!

I could of included some of my conditions...
    I'm 3 months since my injury. I have just progressed to a Rollator. I'm trying to figure out where I fit in my job. Both feet are drop.
    hlh where's your dad walking wise 10 months out? does he cath? how's he doing?

Hi Z.

You are doing really well - Congratulations.

My dad's road has been pretty slow, but steady.

He was hit by a taxi. Back/head/aorta/lung etc.. injuries and bad leg fractures/legs all torn up... one leg had to be reconstructed. So his initial rehab was limited by lots of pain and healing of those injuries. Fortunately, everything else has recovered - now just working on the spinal cord injury. Finally.

We're not at the Rollator yet, but he has been talking about it, hoping...... He has only been using a regular walker for the past two weeks (previously using platform walker since May). He had terrible hip flexor contractions from being in the ICU (immobile with legs elevated on pillows) for so long, which still give him quite a bit of back pain when he stands/walks. So he has to stretch like crazy (tummy time) to try to reverse these tight hips, and his therapists kept him on the platform walker since it gave him better posture. But now he walks short distances at home and at rehab with a regular walker. His legs are actually pretty strong (esp. quads, hip flexors), but he leans on his arms/walker so much .... that they give out long before his legs do.

He has foot drop on both feet too. Floppy feet that are numb. He has AFOs on both feet. His feet are his weakest part.... and over the past several months he has slowly gotten a little bit of movement back in each of them. We'll see. At some point we'll get hinged AFOs, and I have wondered about the WalkAid. He's starting a more aggressive regimen of body weight assisted treadmill training this month.

Bowel bladder.... that has been the toughest part for him. He caths about 5 times per day. He was so disappointed when they took out the foley during inpatient rehab and he couldn't pee........ Fortunately, he never leaks, but still no voluntary voiding. They say that bladder/bowel recovery can be really late, so we are still very hopeful. He has pretty good bowel/bladder sensation. His urologist wants to start him on flomax next week to see if that will help him void voluntarily. He's really worried about it.... sure, he'd like to get back some function, but he doesn't want to leak - he is so worried he will have an accident at rehab, or when he's in the pool.

Bowel stuff - uses colace/senna, and has to do manual removal. Hates it. Has long history of hemorrhoids, so it's no picnic. Has got a routine that works for him, but he's no fan of it.

Working and rehab don't tend to mix so well..... My dad was really torn about work, wanting to get back to it as soon as possible because it gave he a real sense of identity/being productive and useful. But I really pushed him to rethink that plan, as it is so so important to focus on rehab and recovery. He's a computer programmer who worked as a consultant in the past, so I think working part-time in the future is something he will transition back into.

I can imagine that it is a tough situation for you. I really hope you have the opportunity to continue to do aggressive therapy for as long as possible. You are doing so well in your recovery. Just think how great you'll be at 10 months out!!

L5-s1 eight years post. welcome.