Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Core 3 Spoke Wheelchair Wheels

The X-cores are a classic. However, they weigh a ton and had issues with the hub dislodging from the composite. The manufacturer eventually redesigned the hub with reinforcements and made the wheel even heavier in the process. I never hear from anyone looking to buy them. Did I mention they're a classic?

That's one thing I'm kinda nervous about having them on the tennis chair as I can imagine with the extreme camber it will put even more stress on the hub, oh well I guess I'll take the risk and try them out, I have the feeling I'm going to be pulling them off pretty quick anyhow as more than likely the tennis chair will be even more sluggish. I may put them on my everyday chair for awhile just for a change of pace if they don't work out on the tennis chair.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt,

Regarding "... extreme camber ..." - be careful. When last investigated, the three spoke version permitted a maximum camber - within warranty parameters - of 4 degrees.

Incidentally, the three spoke X-Core wheels are visually appealing and exceptionally helpful with regard to being easy to keep clean.

How heavy are the bare wheels? And why did Curt say sluggish? Is there a problem with bearings not lining up correctly with each other or the wheel? I could be interested in finding a cheap-craigslist pair.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I had a few sets. really liked them, but I did experience the hub issue Steve mentioned.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Anyone tried their new version?

Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Check this spec: Pneumatics 110psi max
    http://www.cewheelsinc.com/xcore-3-spokes-wheels.html
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Well to my amazement I was moving a lot better in the tennis chair with these wheels, I think it's because they are so stiff and the chair just rolled a lot better. I think the main problem was I had just 12 spoke spinergy wheels on the chair before and the spokes were flexing a real lot and I was loosing a lot of energy in the push, I dunno why they even make these 12 spoke wheels. I'm really nervous about breaking one of these x core wheels at the hub especially with all the camber I have on the chair but I guess I'll take the risk. I'm just putting on a new pair of orange primo racers now and will run them at the make rated 110 psi for these wheels. Just inspected the wheels and no cracks yet.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    ...will run them at the make rated 110 psi for these wheels.... .
    Curt, do you always live on the edge of the specifications? That 110 psi I posted is for the wheel.

I am definitely living on the edge with these wheels on this chair, I'm running 16 degrees of camber and just put around 115 psi in the tires. This will be a test. They look real good with the new orange tires, matches the chair. I just weighed them compared to my Spinergy wheels. Just as a suspected, more heavy by about 1 pound. The Spinergy is 3.35 lbs with tire and the X core is 4.30 lbs with the same tire. I did know someone who ran 8 degrees of camber on a everyday chair for a few years with no issues, so that is a good sign. I played some pretty hard tennis tonight and no cracks yet, time will tell. The thing that worries me even more is I have tournament in a couple weeks and have redeveloped tennis elbow after being rid of it the past couple of years.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred