Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Core 3 Spoke Wheelchair Wheels

X-Core 3 Spoke Wheelchair Wheels

Hello,
    Anyone is using that wheels?.. How is it?.. I'm worrying about handrims.. I don't like anodized, we have vinyl coated and foam coated. Ergonomics sound expensive. I'm afraid to have burning handrims while braking. What do you think?.. Thanks
    G78

I use them daily with vinyl handrims. No problems here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I use them daily with vinyl handrims. No problems here.
    .. thanks, Scoot.. Talking about vinyl handrims, you never have burning hands while going down long steep roads?.. I'm on stainless steal handrims, and sometimes it burns hands..
    Thanks
    G78

oh, the vinyl will burn your hands. I have a pair of leather gloves that I take with me if I know I'll be facing a lot of hills/distance.

there's no easy solution if you go w/o hand protection, aside from ADI's disc brakes, perhaps.

http://accessibledesigns.com/brake.htm

I have both X Cores and Spinergies and like the Spinergies much better, they are a lot lighter and easier to handle and the price is not much different.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i have to agree with Curt. the x-cores are more difficult to handle when you're taking them off and putting them on (i.e getting in an out of the car). If you can hold a basketball like most people hold a baseball, you shouldn't have any problems. They do draw attention though. I found it funny that everyone who loved the x-cores were AB folks.
    July 2006 T3/T4 Para

Out of all the schooling and course work and parenting i received, i can't help but think someone should have warned me about this....Paralysis Blows.

they're actually easier for me to get in/out of a car. i typically grab one of the three spokes & just throw the wheels in the back.

sure, they weigh more (plus i use 'em w/ mtb tires), but the weight difference isn't significant enough for me to care.

the weight difference is significant.... i tacoed an xcore. it surprised me. now i only spin spinergies...

how'd you taco an xcore? i've tacoed a couple rims mountain biking, but i was a LOT harder on my bike than i think i have the ability to be on my chair.

anyway, the weight difference is noticeable, sure. i used to have a set of Spinergy LXs; i've used both.

in terms of making pushing significantly easier? not so much, IMO.

Just bringing back this thread, I was looking at my lonely X cores sitting in the garage and adjusted them for my Tennis Chair today, going to try them out tomorrow night at Tennis practice. My current spinergies flex a lot because they are only 12 spoke wheels and the X cores are very stiff, maybe too stiff. Anyhow, I'll let you all know how they work out, it sure would be nice if I moved better on them although I'm not counting on it, if nothing else they look pretty great on the Tennis chair.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 10-05-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred