Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Controls for my car

Hand Controls for my car

I just need to vent a little..i am 9 months post and have been going through Independent Living and i am getting free hand controls for My girlfriends Saturn. So i think i talked to Independent Living and filled out paper work about 3 or 4 months ago, went and did a driving test and then i get a phone call yesterday stating that i can't get hand controls in the Saturn because the Car is in Shannons Dads name and still have $1200 dollars left to pay. Just a little upset i have to wait another 5 months until the car is payed off and then get the title in my name. I just don't think its fair. why didn't they ask me when i was filling out the paper work?? And whats even worse is i asked a lady at that department if it would be a problem and she said NO!!
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Megan, I'm really sorry to hear this. It's a long and frustrating process if everything goes right and it can get infuriating when something like this goes wrong. While I was waiting for my van, I purchased some portable hand controls (see link)...not exactly the safest option, but I did what I felt like I had to do.

http://www.allegromedical.com/wheelc...s-p211058.html

P.S. I just noticed there's another thread still going in "Equipment" that has good pics...I posted there some time ago about my experience with them. I rigged mine up with a velcro strap so that I wouldn't "lose" them in the floor if I happened to drop them while driving.
    Last edited by Danine; 10-02-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Danine. I will look into it.
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Sorry for the run-around. The rule is the same here in MI, they need a copy of the title and everything. Lots of paperwork, lots of waiting. The rule was only mentioned to me in passing too. [I just got my license a few weeks ago and I'm still looking for a car though.]

I'm considering picking up a set of those hand controls just to have handy in a pinch. I'm going to see if there's any way insurance will pay for them!

Wow, it must be way different in MN. Sorry you have to go through this. All I did was call a place to order Sure Grips and set up a time to install them. I talked to them over the phone and never had to show proof of anything. It cost about $700 installed. They are a company that does installations of hand control, van ramps, etc. Reputable place too.

i think the rub here, momo, is that there is a 3rd party payor who is requiring ownership of the title before they give her the controls for FREE. i wouldn't think an installer would care who's car it is as long as you have the $$$!

hmmmmm...Seenkid101, have you asked if there is an appeal process?

if not, 5 months will fly by! try to enjoy being driven everywhere while it lasts!

good luck
    dale

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Yes daleb that's what it's all about. Michigan, for example, will purchase and install adaptive driving controls for you for free, if you are using a vehicle and working in the state. They'll cover pretty much anything within reason, including car-top carriers and physical therapy to help you transfer. But there are strict rules about it and ownership of the vehicle is one of them. They won't install on a leased vehicle either. All in all it's a pretty good deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Yes daleb that's what it's all about. Michigan, for example, will purchase and install adaptive driving controls for you for free, if you are using a vehicle and working in the state. They'll cover pretty much anything within reason, including car-top carriers and physical therapy to help you transfer. But there are strict rules about it and ownership of the vehicle is one of them. They won't install on a leased vehicle either. All in all it's a pretty good deal though.
    I think its well worth waiting 5 more months because i am getting them for free. What upset me is that no one sayed anything to me about who owned the car or even asked me who owned it.
    T-7 Complete

Everyone have no fear!! Megan is here and on the ROAD!!! Finally I say finally I have been equipped with hand controls.
    T-7 Complete

Hooray!! Getting back on the road really made me feel I was getting my life back together. Isn;t it a great feeling!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005