Thread: Catheter Suppliers

Catheter Suppliers

Back in 2002, I started receiving my touchless catheter kits from DS Medical. I have private insurance and they agreed to absorb the 20% co-pay. Things went well for a few years, and then last year they were bought out and their name was changed to CSS Medical. Last month I started getting collection calls - they wanted about $1500 to cover the co-pay for the first six months of the year! I explained the situation, but it fell on deaf ears, so I have not received a shipment this month. Luckily, I've got enough reserve to last a few weeks. Anytime I try to talk with them, I have to go through a maze of phone menus. They are not a pleasant company to deal with. My feeling is that if they were going to start charging the co-pay they should have let me know in advance!

In the meantime, I have contacted 2 suppliers that were mentioned on this site - Uromed.com and 180Medical.com. Both places were very friendly and helpful. I probably will have to still pay the co-pay, which means I will have to switch to straight catheters. My wife does the cathing for me (I'm a quad), but I'm sure with the proper technique, we can avoid UTIs. The straight catheters won't be as convenient when we are at work, but I guess we will have to deal with it.

No real question here, just wanted to relay my experience.

thanks Brian. Someone was asking about this earlier this week, ill relay the message.
    “You need to take care of yourself first. If you don't care for yourself, you can't take care of someone else.”

Have you tried the BARD toucheless catheters? Some can give you a better deal on different brands.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnn
    thanks Brian. Someone was asking about this earlier this week, ill relay the message.
    180Medical is sending me a financial form. They may absorb the co-pay for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Have you tried the BARD toucheless catheters? Some can give you a better deal on different brands.

CWO
    I am using the Bard 4A5144 touchless catheter kit.

That
    s crappy Brian. I was expecting to have to pay FULL price for my cathing supplies at the start of this yr, but the co. billed me at the rate the ins. would have to pay, and I had to only pay20% of that , so I only was billed $34.00 per month till I met my out of pocket. Seems that should be the way it goes. Thx for getting the word out on the unfair treatment by the new co. The more they get negetive press, the more business they'll lose. We need thay kind of info out there, thank you.

I too use 180 Medial, great company. Supplies (Speedi Cath) are always delivered on time. I do have BC/BS insurance but they only cover 80% so at the moment 180 is only charging me $35.00/month...........