Thread: standing transfers

standing transfers

me: 5'4" 120lbs
    him: 6'?" 200lbs t1,t2 incomplete with bad leg spasms.

is there any way i can do a standing transfer with him?

anyone currently doing them that would care to send me specific instructions?

i will talk to his pt next week but i would love to tell her what i have found and just get her approval. rather than having her brainstorm ways.

Ohio,
    I do stand tranfers all the time on mine own, but my leg spasmz arent that bad. Every once in awhile they will shake badly and it is hard to stay upright without them giving out.

When I first started the standing transfer I would use a walker in front of me and move myself with my upperbody. This would be easier on my parents or whomever was there. The hardest thing was getting from the chair up into the walker. My therapist thought this was the best way to, but still scared me out of my mind at first. Every therapist has there own way and I would say find the way that is the easiest and the most safe for the both of you.

Unless he can help with voluntary muscle use and you are just balancing him, I would really recommend against using a "quad pivot" type transfer on anything but an occasional basis. Recent studies have found that this type of transfer, even done perfectly by experienced SCI nurses and therapists, puts 600% of the maximum allowed OSHA workload on your lower back, hips and shoulders. Injuries are common in nurses who use this transfer all the time. It is not from doing it incorrectly, but from the repetitive stress of transferring like this over and over.

Can he do independent "scoot" or slide board transfers? At his level virtually everyone is independent using one of these two techniques. If he cannot, get a mechanical lift. Your body will thank you for it in the long run, and you will be able to maintain your caregiver role longer. If you get hurt, you are both in trouble.

(KLD)

Sorry I gotta ask-- what does OSHA allow? In the real world. Coming from a family of roofers and cement finishers I know they don't allow much.

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

oh he is totally independent in transfering buti was wanting to learn to do standing transfers for instances like getting on/off roller coasters ect.

When it comes to rollercoasters, my experience has been that the employees have always helped with the transfer in and out of the seat. It has been a long time, but I remember that people in wheelchairs, along with their companions, get to go to the front of the line. Once in a while there's an advantage to being in a wheelchair!

PN