Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daughter with new SCI

Sorry to hear about your daughter. Maybe you can encourage her to join the site so that she can ask questions too.

My son was injured 19 months ago. The road is very long and difficult. But I promise you it will get better. For now get as much information as humanly possible. This is a great site. Also go to the Christopher Reeve website and request a free paralysis guidebook -- you can also call and request one. It too is very helpful, plus it's handy to have with you at all times if a question arises.

I know it feels like you are living in a fog or on another planet and tears burst forth like tidal waves. Hang in there. Take care of yourself too. Hospital food is evil, see if friends can bring meals by to sustain you. Just seeing a friendly face helps too.

Don't be afraid to ask for help and don't be afraid to stand up to your daughter's medical staff. I joke that I used to be a nice person!

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message or post here. There also is a forum for caregivers to post questions.

Take care!
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt