Thread: kidney stone blast it or not

kidney stone blast it or not

hi, ive got a kidney stone and my doctor said its up to me , to blast it or leave it alone ,
    has anyone had one blasted with sound and if so , did you have any side effects from invasive surgery .
    ive had repeated utis over the last 5 years and im sure im going to have this procedure done , my infectious disease dr said this stone could harbor infections

Just had a kidney stone removed 2 weeks ago.

This summer was a nightmare of uti's, one after another. When they found the stone, I was like, get this mutha out. I too have been told stones can just keep re-infecting you.

It was an outpatient procedure. It's not too invasive, at least no cutting. Scope goes in, has a laser and grabby tool too, man how can they cram so much in a small tube?

I was so infected behind the stone(mine was in the ureter, partially blockin it) that they inserted a stent to keep the drainage going. Last week they removed it, in an office visit, at least I was knocked out when they put it in. Man, she just kept pulling, that thing was like 8 inches long.

My only side effects was pee'ing some blood due to the stent irritating the bladder, it stopped almost immediately after she pulled it. This past weekend was the best I've felt in months.

I'd go for it.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Stones need to come out. If in the kidney, they can eventually start to kill off kidney tissue. If blocking a ureter, they can cause hydronephrosis that can do the same. If in the bladder, they can get so big they have to be surgically removed and I have seen them grow around catheters so that the catheter cannot be removed without surgery. Where ever they are, they hide bacteria so they continuously seed bacteria into your urine, making it nearly impossible to get UTI free.

Some can be removed by ESWL (extracorporal shock wave lithotripsy), while others can be "zapped" with a laser done through cystoscopy. Kidney stones can sometimes be dissolved with a nephrostomy tube inserted in interventional radiology, but this can take weeks. Really severe ones may require open surgery. The first two methods require no incision at all. An overnight stay in the hospital is advised though as IV antibiotics are often needed and a large load of bacteria can be released when the stone is zapped.

(KLD)

I'd be skeptical of a dr. that says you can just leave kidney stones in btw.

Oh boy, do I know about this. I have a ton of kidney stones in my left kidney for 22 years now. I have had them checked periodically for the last 22 years and its always the same answer. If they are not bothering you, you can leave them alone, but keep an eye on them with regular visits. My urologist told me that again two weeks ago after I asked him for 99th time. Bladder stones are a very different story. They need to be removed. I have one the size of a golf ball in my bladder. We removed one half and I am going back in two weeks to remove the other half. Infection is a concern with any procedure. However, with a healthy immune system and antibiotics, you can usually recover quite well.

Last yr , 2 weeks before my botched back surgery, I went in for a "blast of sound " for a stone I couldn't possibly pass, it's too big". Well the night fore goin in, I all of a sudden had an urge to pee, and I mean like RIGHT NOW, in I go and it was like, wow I really must've held that on too long. Well, that was the stone, so it ain't a done surgery until the surgery is done. And, BTW from what I heard from buddies, I figured I'd a been on the floor crying, but went back to doin the dishes, no biggie.
    So GOOD LUCK, anything can happen,I've heard it's not a big deal to have it done either.