Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about some Power Metal

How about some Power Metal

I was surfing on YouTube and remembered that I had found Nightwish playing "Phantom Of The Opera". So I looked for it and again found myself getting goose bumps while I listened to it.

I have also found Savatage's "Hall of the Mountain King" something I enjoy. Too bad they no longer play together.

Anyone have others they would like to share?

Raven

PS: How could I forget this one. Beautiful sounds. One is played by Therion and the other one is not Power Metal but yet as great. Btw, Transiberian Orchestra/Savatage also played it.
    Last edited by Raven; 09-29-2008 at 02:26 AM.

That is so cool Raven, I remember Savatage, I'll have to forward that one to my sister -- she's always sending me old metal videos of bands we used to listen to in the 80's and 90's.

Talking =d

"O Fortuna O Fortune,
    velut luna like the moon
    statu variabilis, you are changeable,
    semper crescis ever waxing
    aut decrescis; and waning;
    vita detestabilis hateful life
    nunc obdurat first oppresses
    et tunc curat and then soothes
    ludo mentis aciem, as fancy takes it;
    egestatem, poverty
    potestatem and power
    dissolvit ut glaciem. it melts them like ice.

Sors immanis Fate - monstrous
    et inanis, and empty,
    rota tu volubilis, you whirling wheel,
    status malus, you are malevolent,
    vana salus well-being is vain
    semper dissolubilis, and always fades to nothing,
    obumbrata shadowed
    et velata and veiled
    michi quoque niteris; you plague me too;
    nunc per ludum now through the game
    dorsum nudum I bring my bare back
    fero tui sceleris. to your villainy"

full lyrics => HERE

What exactly is power metal. During the 80's and 90's we listened to all the hair bands along with Metallica and Megadeth. On my Sirius radio they have a station called hair nation and they play all these songs from bands I remember listening to as I was growing up. Here's one from Dream Theater --we (sis and I) love this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNp4t...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by wtf
    What exactly is power metal.
    I think this pretty well covers the rules....

1. You have one goal: be epic.
    2. Let no sound be lonely. If there's a guitar solo, harmonize it. If there's singing, make it a choir.
    3. Keyboards offer a way to add thousands of different textures to a song. Find two of those that you like and use them on every song you write.
    4. In a power metal world, everything steel is good, and anything good must be compared to steel.
    5. You are not bound to sing about Satan, evil, and/or darkness.
    6. You are bound to sing about dragons, freedom, and/or power metal.
    7. Remember how no sound should be alone? Same goes for albums. Everything can have a sequel!
    8. You are allowed to be blonde.
    9. Swords enhance your credibility and your performance. Be sure to carry one regardless of whether or not you know anything about using one.
    10. Pick a theme and stick to it. Manowar are warriors of true metal, and they don't get to sing about anything else. Rhapsody has their Algalord chronicles. Hammerfall has their steel, hammers, and templar. Running Wild has pirates. Blind Guardian has Tolkein. None of them are allowed to sing about anything else.
    11. If you have to sing about something else, put together a side project to do it. Avantasia is the perfect model.
    12. Ballads are permissible.
    13. That doesn't mean your ballads can suck.
    14. The longer a song is, the more epic it is. See rule #1.
    15. More solos means more epic.
    16. If at all possible, be Michael Kiske.
    17. If this is not possible, pretend to be Michael Kiske.
    18. Your album cover should include at least one of the following: fire, steel, weird glowing magical items, irregularly muscular men, fists thrust into the air, weaponry, magic creatures (preferably dragons), or bright beams of light around somebody/something.
    19. 'Grim' and 'necro' don't apply here; they just make you look silly. Now go back to singing your 20 minute epic about dragonslaying!
    20. Power metal depends on power chords.
    21. 16th notes are the only notes.
    22. Unless you're singing, in which case you are not permitted to hold a note for any less than 2 bars.
    23. Keyboards get solos, too.
    24. If you can't be Michael Kiske, you can at least be Timo Tolkki.
    25. Actually, don't be Timo Tolkki.
    26. In case you didn't know, "symphonic" is synonymous with "epic." See rule #1.
    27. Just because 300 bands before you have already done "epic," there's always room for more.
    28. Songs come in two tempos: metal and ballad.
    29. You are officially the only group of people who can refer to themselves as 'mighty' without being laughed at. Much.
    30. Audiences need to be able to sing along. Make it catchy.
    31. Sing in English, even though your fan-base will be comprised entirely of Brazilians, Germans, Japanese, Swedes, and Finns. See rule #30: if it's not catchy, it's harder to sing in a language that is not your first.
    32. Play in as many bands as possible. More side projects and guest appearances means more epic!
    33. Tight. Pants.
    34. You don't have to detune your guitars.
    35. Though you probably should drop them a half-step.
    36. Unfortunately, you need at least two guitar players. How else are you going to have dueling guitar solos?
    37. Keyboards may substitute for one guitar player, as long as they can solo.
    38. Fortunately, you don't need a bass player! Or at least, you never have to use the same bassist twice.
    39. Begin all songs with one big swelling chord on the keyboard.
    40. Acoustic guitars are allowed. Sometimes.
    41. It's not a tour, it's a crusade!

(42-101)

Not a huge fan myself (no offense Raven ) unless I'm on a Viking ship storming the gates of Hell, maybe then some Bathory which isn't relly even Power Metal. But I could say Power Metal with a Norwegian accent all day!

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic

Not a huge fan myself (no offense Raven ) unless I'm on a Viking ship storming the gates of Hell, maybe then some Bathory which isn't relly even Power Metal. But I could say Power Metal with a Norwegian accent all day!
    LOL None taken. I do however really love it. In particular the ones I linked among others. To me the sounds are a symphony, not necessarily a full orchestra. They bring out the dreams and hidden emotions that lie within me. They help me to fantasize and be able to better express my emotions. In other words, they inspire me.

To quote Nick, "It's an art to be appreciated in any form. It is the soundtrack of our lives".

Btw, I do fight "dragons" in my life and write about my battles.

Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    To me the sounds are a symphony, not necessarily a full orchestra. They bring out the dreams and hidden emotions that lie within me. They help me to fantasize and be able to better express my emotions. In other words, they inspire me.
    Nicely put. I was/am a huge fan of old school Jason Becker/ M. Friedman/ Malmsteen/ V. Moore etc which, when I listen to it (your post made me dig out "Perpetual Burn") is pretty much the soundtrack to power metal and I like it for the same reason. I was a sad metalhead when Chris Oliva died .

Quote Originally Posted by wtf
    What exactly is power metal. During the 80's and 90's we listened to all the hair bands along with Metallica and Megadeth. On my Sirius radio they have a station called hair nation and they play all these songs from bands I remember listening to as I was growing up. Here's one from Dream Theater --we (sis and I) love this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNp4t...eature=related
    wtf, this is what I found as another definition of power metal.

Power metal is a style of heavy metal music with the aim of evoking an "epic" feel, incorporating characteristics of primarily traditional metal along with thrash metal or speed metal, often within a fantastic or (less often) symphonic context. There is some dispute about the term, which can refer to two different, but related styles: one pioneered and largely practiced in North America, and one based in Germany and Scandinavia. In contemporary usage, "power metal" generally refers to the European style, with American band Iced Earth being a notable exception.

American power metal, like European power metal, is influenced by Queen, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Queensr├┐che. Some consider modern American bands like Iced Earth and Nevermore to be the descendants of this style, but others claim that the movement has ended, swallowed by better known styles such as thrash and European power metal.
    http://www.foxytunes.com/tag/powermetal

I do have a preference for the ones which use the symphonic sounds. There are some styles which Nick used to listen to which many people don't like due to the sounds/music or words which sound unintelligible. What I find that I liked in those are the lyrics. I have found that many of them express the raw and true emotions and some are poetic at times imo.

I also believe that all or most music speak for us many times.

Raven
    Last edited by Raven; 10-02-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic
    I think this pretty well covers the rules....

1. You have one goal: be epic.
    2. Let no sound be lonely. If there's a guitar solo, harmonize it. If there's singing, make it a choir.
    3. Keyboards offer a way to add thousands of different textures to a song. Find two of those that you like and use them on every song you write.
    4. In a power metal world, everything steel is good, and anything good must be compared to steel.
    5. You are not bound to sing about Satan, evil, and/or darkness.
    6. You are bound to sing about dragons, freedom, and/or power metal.
    7. Remember how no sound should be alone? Same goes for albums. Everything can have a sequel!
    8. You are allowed to be blonde.
    9. Swords enhance your credibility and your performance. Be sure to carry one regardless of whether or not you know anything about using one.
    10. Pick a theme and stick to it. Manowar are warriors of true metal, and they don't get to sing about anything else. Rhapsody has their Algalord chronicles. Hammerfall has their steel, hammers, and templar. Running Wild has pirates. Blind Guardian has Tolkein. None of them are allowed to sing about anything else.
    11. If you have to sing about something else, put together a side project to do it. Avantasia is the perfect model.
    12. Ballads are permissible.
    13. That doesn't mean your ballads can suck.
    14. The longer a song is, the more epic it is. See rule #1.
    15. More solos means more epic.
    16. If at all possible, be Michael Kiske.
    17. If this is not possible, pretend to be Michael Kiske.
    18. Your album cover should include at least one of the following: fire, steel, weird glowing magical items, irregularly muscular men, fists thrust into the air, weaponry, magic creatures (preferably dragons), or bright beams of light around somebody/something.
    19. 'Grim' and 'necro' don't apply here; they just make you look silly. Now go back to singing your 20 minute epic about dragonslaying!
    20. Power metal depends on power chords.
    21. 16th notes are the only notes.
    22. Unless you're singing, in which case you are not permitted to hold a note for any less than 2 bars.
    23. Keyboards get solos, too.
    24. If you can't be Michael Kiske, you can at least be Timo Tolkki.
    25. Actually, don't be Timo Tolkki.
    26. In case you didn't know, "symphonic" is synonymous with "epic." See rule #1.
    27. Just because 300 bands before you have already done "epic," there's always room for more.
    28. Songs come in two tempos: metal and ballad.
    29. You are officially the only group of people who can refer to themselves as 'mighty' without being laughed at. Much.
    30. Audiences need to be able to sing along. Make it catchy.
    31. Sing in English, even though your fan-base will be comprised entirely of Brazilians, Germans, Japanese, Swedes, and Finns. See rule #30: if it's not catchy, it's harder to sing in a language that is not your first.
    32. Play in as many bands as possible. More side projects and guest appearances means more epic!
    33. Tight. Pants.
    34. You don't have to detune your guitars.
    35. Though you probably should drop them a half-step.
    36. Unfortunately, you need at least two guitar players. How else are you going to have dueling guitar solos?
    37. Keyboards may substitute for one guitar player, as long as they can solo.
    38. Fortunately, you don't need a bass player! Or at least, you never have to use the same bassist twice.
    39. Begin all songs with one big swelling chord on the keyboard.
    40. Acoustic guitars are allowed. Sometimes.
    41. It's not a tour, it's a crusade!

(42-101)

LoL thanks. does this qualify

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85sWIybFk0 yay or nay?