Thread: I am new to this site

I am new to this site

Hello, My name is Heather and I am a wife to a C6 incomplete quad. He is 1 year post injury.. we have 2 small children, Gracie is 2 and Seth is 10 months old. I have been caring for my husband on my own since he left Shepherd Center in May 2003. Sometimes I wonder how we got here but I have put my trust in God and realized that we can live a normal life if we try. So we do..... anyway I think it is wonderful to have a website for SCI and especially one for Caregivers...Thanks again..
    Heather

Welcome! You will find a lot of support here.

Are you your husband's only caregiver by choice or because you have no other resources? Were you provided information about resources in your area at Shepherd Center? Have you contacted your closest Independent Living Training Center for more information? What is his insurance/funding currently? Do you have a plan for some respite for you? Caring for children this age is taxing all by itself...you need some help!

(KLD)

Hi and Welcome Heather!!

I am mom to Heather, age 11, T-12 complete. It will be 4 years in June since her injury. You will find lots of information here and many helpful people.

welcome to the site! I hope I am not stepping over the boundries by saying this ,BUT I agree with KLD. you need to find some help! Be a mother, wife, and friend first. athen if needed once in a while step into the caregiver spot.

There are many wise (old) (he,he,he) caregivers here to help you out.

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

Ahem, just one of the wise old - hehehe - caregivers checking in here!

KLD, one of our terrific spinal cord nurses, has asked all the right questions, and Patrick was right in reinforcing her thoughts.

Get some help - babysitting, shopping, whatever, and take some time for you. Most of us who have been through this have realized that we were at the bottom of the barrel in terms of physical, mental and emotional exhaustion, by thinking we could do it all.

In my own case, it was my adult son who was injured, and I had no small children at home. But while he was at rehab, there were families who visited with small children and infants; I don't know how they (you) cope with all of that.

Ask family, friends, church - a lot of times people want to help, they just don't know what to do. Even taking the children for an hour or two so you can take a 'Calgon bath', I'm sure would be welcome!

And please stay in touch here - we are all family in this new and frightening and frustrating life, and you'll find lots of support.

Hi, Heather--

Glad you found us, sorry you needed to. My spouse is also a c6 incomplete. He was injured 3 years ago, when our daughters were 10 and 12 . . . I think I qualified for the title of "caregiver" for the time he was in the hospital, and maybe the first few months he was home. He gradually took over everything as time passed, and you can bet I was WAY glad about that.

I agree with you that this site is an amazing gift; please use it freely.