Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dsgirl
    I am Shelby, Danine's partner. I decided to join for many reasons, foremost in support of Danine, but also to find others who are in a caregiver role and have had similar experiences.

It's been almost a year and a half since Danine's sci. There were other health concerns that were presented in January of 2007 that began my journey as caregiver. I had not previously been a caregiver; however, my natural instincts, or possibly my mind's way of dealing with the shock and utter fear of the situation, set me in motion.

I am grateful beyond words every day that Danine is still with me. I almost lost her twice in a 6 month period and that was enough to scare the hell out of me. Although I do not believe her doctors thought she would recover as well as she has, her stubborness and desire to persevere have undoubtedly been instrumental in her continued recovery.

I cannot say that I have had time, or allowed myself time, to deal with all of this. I find that I still wake up and find myself in shock that this has happened. I have kept myself as sane as possible by being as supportive as possible. At times, it seems as if Danine is dealing with the situation much better than I am lol. My hope is that I will meet others that are dealing with similar emotional distress so that we may help each other through our own healing process.

I look forward to meeting everyone!
    Shelby welcome!!! I am so glad to see you on here!! I hope that me and shannon are able to meet you soon in charlotte sometime within the next few months. And also so glad that there are more lesbain couples out there going through what we are.

Megan
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

You don't need to thank me, it's just the way love moves you. I didn't mean for it to sound like I am still pushing my feelings to the side. For the sake of getting you better, I disregarded my shock and pain, which I think is a good thing. Focusing on you, helped me get through it all. I didn't have time to be depressed. The fact that you are so positive about everything has also been a tremendous help in keeping me positive as well. I love you so much!
    True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end.

- Shannon

To get a closer look into my life:
    www.lovecommashannon.blogspot.com

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    Hi dsgirl
    Nice to meet another NC person here. Welcome to the group. Hope you come often and find all the support you need here here.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Quote Originally Posted by peasnluv
    Shelby, I cannot agree more with you here. I was a whirlwind of emotions but I kept them all inside because I knew they weren't anywhere near as important to face, as helping Megan get through everything first. I pushed them all to the side, forgot about my feelings, and focused EVERYTHING I had on getting her better. I did this for as long as it took for Megan to finally get her strength back and also her independence.

Maybe that was an unhealthy thing to do, but I did what I had to do. When you're in love, nothing else matters.
    Shannon, it's nice to find someone who understands. Hopefully we can help each other get through some of the same issues.

I seem to be stuck, for lack of a better word, in this place where I am still very nervous about being away from Danine. Although she seems to be moving along emotionally and has a lot of confidence, I still worry that if I'm not right there with her that she may find herself in some crazy situation where she may injure herself further. I'm still not at a place where I can relax and not worry.

I do think that I need to start working with all of these emotions. I'm not sure yet how to do that, as just a hint of opening the tightly sealed box they're sealed in, is quite overwhelming for me. Making the step to sign up here and make my first post was very emotional. It kind of scared me, to be honest. I know that I will need to deal with this, however, the idea of not having control of my emotions, and thus the situation, makes me quite uncomfortable, if that makes sense.

How are you coping?

I look forward to knowing you more!
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

Quote Originally Posted by Seenkid101
    Shelby welcome!!! I am so glad to see you on here!! I hope that me and shannon are able to meet you soon in charlotte sometime within the next few months. And also so glad that there are more lesbain couples out there going through what we are.

Megan
    Thank you, Megan! It's nice to finally "meet" you and Shannon. Danine has been very excited to have met other women, especially Lesbians , that she can connect with at the Charlotte meeting.

I'm excited about meeting you both

Quote Originally Posted by jccarolina
    Hi dsgirl
    Nice to meet another NC person here. Welcome to the group. Hope you come often and find all the support you need here here.
    Hi jccarolina! Thanks for the warm welcome! Yayy more carolina girls

Hi jccarolina,

Are you aware that there's a support group for people with SCI (and spouses/partners who want to attend) that meets monthly in Charlotte. If you're interested in attending some time, let me know and I'll give you information on times, dates, location, etc.

I seem to be stuck, for lack of a better word, in this place where I am still very nervous about being away from Danine. Although she seems to be moving along emotionally and has a lot of confidence, I still worry that if I'm not right there with her that she may find herself in some crazy situation where she may injure herself further. I'm still not at a place where I can relax and not worry.
    I am so right there with you. I am very anxious about Megan driving because it scares me to no end. Even though she's so excited about it and it's another stepping stone to her full independence, I can't help but worry.

(Sorry this is Shannon under Megan's username)
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

For Shelby, Danine, Megan and Shannon-

I"m really glad you're all here. It truly warms my heart to read all of your posts about loving each other, being there for each other. It's what love's supposed to be about, but - yeah - sometimes life throws some major curveballs at one and love does not make it easy. For both those who are injured, and those who love them, it's easier when you have each other for support.

I"m sorry I didn't reply sooner. Keeping it real, Danine-
    Debbie's MRSA blood infection is back. Or - more likely - it's probably never really left since this nightmare began in Jan. of this year. She had an Indium scan done recently. The doc was hoping it might show where in Debbie's body the MRSA is hanging out, but it revealed nothing helpful. Now she is becoming pretty intolerant to the Vancomycin. She's having to take a day off from it about every third day to handle it at all. The Vancomycin obviously does not seem to be eradicating the MRSA yet, so I wonder - can it at all? And the strain of staph she has is resistant to other meds soooo... we're running out of options.

I have seen Debbie beat some pretty stiff odds before. As long as she has the strength and will to fight, I"m right there with her. Realistically, I'd be a fool if I weren't worried, though, and I know she's worried, too. Usually she is the cockeyed optimist who tells me I worry too much and she'll be fine,so if she's worried, it tells me how tough this battle is.

When time and mental energy allow, I'll be around. I hope all is well with all of you and I"m sorry we dont' live closer to NC to meet you. Take care.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Hoping Things Will Get Better Soon

Kendell, I'm really sorry that you and Debbie are having such a hard time. MRSA seems to be on the increase in this country and is (as you know)very difficult to treat. I will certainly be thinking of you and sending you positive energy. It would be nice if you lived closer and perhaps we will meet in person someday. For now, please don't hesitate to write...feel free to PM as well...whenever you need to talk. Tell Debbie that Shelby and I say hello and send well wishes her way.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem