Quote Originally Posted by dsgirl
I am Shelby, Danine's partner. I decided to join for many reasons, foremost in support of Danine, but also to find others who are in a caregiver role and have had similar experiences.

It's been almost a year and a half since Danine's sci. There were other health concerns that were presented in January of 2007 that began my journey as caregiver. I had not previously been a caregiver; however, my natural instincts, or possibly my mind's way of dealing with the shock and utter fear of the situation, set me in motion.

I am grateful beyond words every day that Danine is still with me. I almost lost her twice in a 6 month period and that was enough to scare the hell out of me. Although I do not believe her doctors thought she would recover as well as she has, her stubborness and desire to persevere have undoubtedly been instrumental in her continued recovery.

I cannot say that I have had time, or allowed myself time, to deal with all of this. I find that I still wake up and find myself in shock that this has happened. I have kept myself as sane as possible by being as supportive as possible. At times, it seems as if Danine is dealing with the situation much better than I am lol. My hope is that I will meet others that are dealing with similar emotional distress so that we may help each other through our own healing process.

I look forward to meeting everyone!
Shelby welcome!!! I am so glad to see you on here!! I hope that me and shannon are able to meet you soon in charlotte sometime within the next few months. And also so glad that there are more lesbain couples out there going through what we are.

Megan