Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plasma or LCD?

LEDs can be brightened/dimned independently. This improves contrast, color, and really improves blacks.
    Last edited by PN; 10-28-2008 at 12:04 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    How is it "better technology" if you can only watch it in a dark room? My folks just bought a new plasma TV to replace a giant, CRT TV they've had for years. It was the latest and greatest and coolest thing a decade ago, but it always had a problem with glare. It was set up in a great room that was designed to let in the most daylight possible and depending on where you sat in the room, glare was a big to really big issue. Now, with the plasma, you get a beautiful picture during the day, no matter where you are in the room.

C.
    Its better because it has a bright crisp picture and it doesnt have that weird movement on dark colors that plasma's and LCD have, and the only glare I get is when the sun is directly on it. The tube never burns out and it does not have the so many hours till the picture burns out. I will say the only draw back is that there is no picture in picture on mine and that blows. And for being a projection it only sticks out from the wall a foot and a half and thats because of extra crap that i have behind other wise i dont think it would stick out farther than a foot.which yes is more than a plasma or lcd but for 2 grand and 61" I can deal with it.

I've been doing some looking myself. I agree with Tiger on fast motion such as hockey, etc. There is a blur in LCD. Current generation LCD are now 120 MhZ vs. older (6 months or more ago) 60 Mhz. The faster mhz and refresh rate has, almost, eliminated the blur - but not quite.

Can't beat plasma picture - My concern is longevity. As others stated.

Decisions... Decisions../.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    I've been doing some looking myself. I agree with Tiger on fast motion such as hockey, etc. There is a blur in LCD. Current generation LCD are now 120 MhZ vs. older (6 months or more ago) 60 Mhz. The faster mhz and refresh rate has, almost, eliminated the blur - but not quite.

Can't beat plasma picture - My concern is longevity. As others stated.

Decisions... Decisions../.
    Yes,but whatever you buy,you will enjoy. Buy the biggest screen practical for you.

Sony recently announced a 240 Hz LCD TV. So the 240 Hz TV quadruples the refresh rate when compared to the 60 Hz LCD TV. I would think that 240 frames per second would resolve the "motion detail" or motion blur, problem. However, there may be some artifacting or Sony could be playing a numbers game. We will know shortly.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by soonerborn View Post
    the only glare I get is when the sun is directly on it.
    Well, glare will affect anything when there is "direct" sunlight so I can't say if LCD, plasma or projection is worse. I don't have enough experience to state anything definitive there. Do you have links to any reviews that compare plasma and projection TVs? I may have just missed them, but it was my understanding that projection TVs were outdated technology compared to LCD and plasma.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Sony recently announced a 240 Hz LCD TV. So the 240 Hz TV quadruples the refresh rate when compared to the 60 Hz LCD TV. I would think that 240 frames per second would resolve the "motion detail" or motion blur, problem. However, there may be some artifacting or Sony could be playing a numbers game. We will know shortly.
    Cool. The 120 Mhz models should be in for a drastic price drop then. The 60 Mhz are being cleared out and cheap around here. 120's still pricey.

Is it true Sony has abandoned plasma?

can't beat Sony's LCD... worth the extra $$ for sure.
    Not sure where you live but if you're at any sort of altitude, stay away from plasma.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Is it true Sony has abandoned plasma?
    On that one, I don't know.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I'm very happy with our new 40" LCD samsung. I shopped around but decided on the series 6, best value for the features included inmo.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder