Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: i'm building....your help is requested.

i'm building....your help is requested.

I have a Geforce GTX 280... THIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130365

I want to build a gaming machine around it.
    Talk to me...

1.Motherboard?
    2. Chipset?
    3. I have Vista ultimum
    4. How much ram? my current pc is running 4gigs, is more worth the cost
    5. I need a cool full case
    6. power pack
    PS. This Video card is pci express 2.0.....it has a piece on it that will not allow me to install it in my current pc. so i need a motherboard that you know for sure will fit.

Budget?
    Sli?

You really can't use more than 4 Gigs so no, but whats your RAM Speed?

The card should fit a PCI-E 1.0, no problems, so it's all abut price.

Are you overclocking?

For games a good 45nm dual chip is best. rThe rest is all bout money.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Budget?
    Sli?

You really can't use more than 4 Gigs so no, but whats your RAM Speed?

The card should fit a PCI-E 1.0, no problems, so it's all abut price.

Are you overclocking?

For games a good 45nm dual chip is best. rThe rest is all bout money.
    it fit the pci express slot, sorta...there is a piece on the card that sticks out and a resistor on the motherboard in the way for a good fit.

budget... lets say under 2k.
    no sli, for now but will consider it in the future...

this little piece keeps me from installing on my current system

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    it fit the pci express slot, sorta...there is a piece on the card that sticks out and a resistor on the motherboard in the way for a good fit.

budget... lets say under 2k.
    no sli, for now but will consider it in the future...
    Thats a huge budget.

Very odd, that the card hits the capacitor.
    I'm not a huge gear knowedge base, so I'll leave the rest to others.

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    this little piece keeps me from installing on my current system
    can you hack it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    can you hack it off?
    nay....

Hi DA,

I just upgraded my gaming rig. Here's a top-notch but not a budget-buster combo. Motherboard/processor/memory. Your video card will fit nicely on it. As will another 1 or 2 more!

It's a single, Dual SLI and/or Triple SLI motherboard. The nForce 790i Ultra. You'll be able to add another one or even TWO more of those Geforce GTX 280 on it for a total of 3 video cards. I only have 2 GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB video cards on it but will be upgrading them when I get enough money to blow.

The board runs DDR3 memory and that costs a little extra but you'll be running the fastest memory available.

The Intel Q6600 processor is a good deal... money-wise. You can get a faster processor if you want to spend the money but this one overclocks well. From a 2.4GB processor to 3.0GHz on air alone. And you can even go higher on air but I wouldn't push it. On my computer, if I overclock to 3.0GHz I get 14712 3D Marks on the 3DMark2006 benchmarking program. At 2.4GHz I get around 13000 3D Marks.

This motherboard (nForce 790i Ultra) is top of the line so you'll be ready for the future. Your video card is a PCI Express 2.0 and this board is designed with that in mind. My video cards are too old so can't take advantage of the PCI Express 2.0 but I've read that you'll see a big increase in speed.

Motherboard:
    EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$349.99
    ($319.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    3 Business Day Shipping $9.39

-----------------------------------------------

Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

$189.99
    Free 3 Business Day Shipping

If you want the fastest processor for this board (within reason!) and want to spend an extra $160 get the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail but that's a lot of money for just 483MHz. Decisions, decisions!

$324.99

------------------------------------------------

Memory (RAM- 2 x 2GB = 4GB Dual Channel Kit):
    OCZ NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Original Price: $410.99
    You Save: $30.00
    $380.99
    ($345.99 after $35.00 Mail-In Rebate)

I would just go with 4GBs of memory (RAM) for now. 2-2GB modules. You can always add more later. Don't go with the 1GB modules.... it's better/faster to have 2-2GB modules than it is to have 4-1GB modules. With Vista, 4GBs is a good amount of memory for the average gamer and you'll have 2 slots to fill later if you want to.

I have a 700 watt ThermalTake ToughPower PSU and it gets the job done but it's nothing out of the ordinary. I'd go with a 1000 watt now. Antec is a good brand but I'd look around at the reviews and see what they have to say.

Computer cases are really an individual taste thing. Just make sure you get an ATX. Not a mATX or the smaller size one. A lot of cases come with a PSU. Be careful and don't skimp on the PSU. If you want I can look around for what I would buy. You can always go with liquid cooling too but think about it. I have a liquid cooling arrangement (Koolance) but I'm using the stock Intel HSF (HeatSink Fan) for now. Liquid cooling can be a pain in the ass compared to a rather simple upgraded HSF.

When I first pushed the "On" button she fired (POST'ed) right up. Vroooom- Woot woot.

I haven't had a single problem with mine. She's rock-solid. I love her. Well, I forgot to adjust the memory voltage from 1.4v to the proper 1.9v. She was freezing up every once in awhile until I set the proper memory voltage. I hate when that happens! :-)

Good luck. If you need any more suggestions just ask. CapnGimp (John) knows his compter stuff. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Bob.
    Last edited by bob clark; 09-26-2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Fix the memory link
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hi DA,

Just a couple after-thoughts.

The nForce 790i Ultra motherboard has 2 PCI slots on it for things like soundcards or whatever. I have a Creative Fatal1ty Platinum soundcard that fits onto the board nicely. Snuggly- nicely! If I needed to use the other PCI slot it would be a real tight fit. It would depend on the size or thickness of whatever PCI card that I wanted to use- on whether or not it would fit.

What PCI cards do you plan on using?

And this board only has 1 IDE channel on it. It's the connector/plug that your optical drives (CD/DVD drives) use and the older pre-SATA EIDE/IDE Hard Drives use. I have 2 optical drives on one cable so everything is fine but I also have an older IDE Hard Drive that I used as a backup on my other motherboard. I no longer use this HD now because I only have the one IDE channel. Most older motherboards have 2 IDE channels on them. There are work-arounds for this "problem" like a USB-IDE converter, etc. but I'm just gonna use my old IDE HD on my other computer (backup computer) and get a new SATA HD to use as a backup to use on this board. There are 8 SATA ports on this motherboard so that won't be a problem! I just removed my CD/DVD drives and transferred what I wanted from the old IDE HD onto my Master SATA HD and all is cool... I then put my optical drives back on the channel.

That's the 2 things that kinda surprised me when I first got this board. If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

thanks bob... i like your examples although i might go Q6700

btw, can i SLI a 8800 GTX with a 8800 Ultra?