8 12.31%
  • Other family member

4 6.15%
  • Person with SCI

32 49.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are you?

Who are you?

I know that this forum is visited by all kinds of people . . . just thought I'd do a little survey to find out who we are.

I am none of these. I have chosen to be a caregiver as a job. I work for a women who is a C5-6. I am in her home 40hrs a week.

Thanks, Sweetpea--I would have put a category in for you but I ran out of lines!

Anybody else? It's interesting that half the visitors (in this sample, anyway) to the Caregivers Forum are people with SCI, dontcha think?

Kate, great poll - I thought I had done something similar a while ago, but couldn't find it.

I DO find it interesting that half the voters are folks with SCI! Hmmm.

A lot of our family members and caregivers tho, don't 'check in' all the time, so I'd give the poll a while to get results from others. You may want to make it a 'feature' topic, to keep it at the top, also.

Seems understandable (and expected, even) that most voters would be SCI person, rather than caregivers, given that most on forums are SCI, and very few actual caregivers themselves being regular posters (which, I would think, reflects ratio of caregivers to SCI persons here).

I am thinking, that many, if not most, caregivers who come to forums- esp caregiving forum, have active interest in learning/understanding about care needs as well as seeking support of other caregivers, thus would be more inclined to post and vote. So, low caregiver votes may indicate low caregiver rate, than caregivers not voting. I don't find it surprising that very few caregivers come to this site or this forum, or that there would be more SCI persons visiting this forum to read but not post anything themselves. I think reading what caregivers think and feel- to understand some of the frustrations and anger they experience, even at times, sense of helplessness, can help an SCI person better understand their own caregiver(s) and the relationship dynamic between them.

I don't fit any of the categories either, but I seem to be addicted to this site and keep coming back to see how everyone is doing. You all got to seem like family to me the last couple of years and I'll always have an intense interest in SCI care and cure.

Chick, Thanks for your interpretation - however, I think that there are a lot more family members/caregivers who come to the site, and don't necessarily post on this forum.

I don't fit in these categories either. The thing that that I have enjoyed the most about these forums is that you can never REALLY tell who or what is visiting them! In reality there is no way to tell, but in this case, looking at the 51% of 37 people, it would look like more folks with SCI did vote on this poll in the past few days. No way to tell who is actually reading it without posting or voting.

Once a long time ago, there was an interesting thread started by a paid caregiver, who found herself over time in a mutually good-feeling, love relationship with her ",boss". She asked for opinion, several gave it, and at that time I thought it was a bad idea. Well, he sailed in, and defended her and their feelings in the most gracious way, polite and yet firm, and needless to say, left me completely reoriented to their situations and feelings. Now, that was a good thread, because it reflected the kind of thing Chick just talked about, exposing a side of one possible dynamic between caregiver and client/loved one. I wonder what ever happened to him...it has been about 2 years, I wish I could remember those names.....

Hi all-
    I don't find it suprising at all that many poll voters are SCI'd. Many folks post in this forum and offer encouragment,support, and personal experience from the SCI'd point of view. Posts I find most helpful. I certainly don't visit ONLY this forum! This place truly is a unique community. We all take the risk and put our feelings out there for the benefit of ourselves and others. Proof that collectively and individually, we are all pretty damn courageous.
    I think marm is right, caregiver traffic is light and sometimes a little pokey.
    SoulMate

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... Brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

It would be good to get a hundred or so responses to this poll, just for statistical meaningfulness . . . but while we're waiting, I was wondering if any more of the folks who are SCI'd would care to tell us what they find here that's helpful--and maybe what they wish we'd talk about more.