Thread: timer or alarm clock for bed turning?

timer or alarm clock for bed turning?

hi ... my stepson is a new t-9 and is now at home. I'm looking for ways to make him more independent and am searching for some sort of clock or timer that can be set for every four hours so he can turn himself. It needs to be simple - just hit a button so it sets itself again for four hours so he doesn't really wake up. Ideally, it wouldn't be time dependent so if he went to bed at a different time, he wouldn't have to do a major reset. He'll be happier when the whole house doesn't have to get up when he has to turn. Any ideas? Thanks

blue, Your son is T-9? Forgive me but why can't he turn himself?

Strength? Technique?

There's no reason imo why he can't do it himself if there's no other complications??

The whole house? How many people does it take to turn him?

Sorry, I'm confused -

I picked up a dual alarm clock from Target, I think it is made by GE. I set it to go off every 4 hours so I can haul my can to the can to cath, and since I dont have to fumble with re-setting it and be appropriately alert to do that, works great for me.

he can turn himself .... what we need is a way to wake him up every four hours with a minimum of disturbance - not only to the rest of us (who wake up to make sure he wakes up) but to him ... ideally, it would be great if he touched a button to turn the alarm off, turned and went back to sleep without fully waking up. Sorry I was unclear before. Thanks.

We bought an alarm clock prior hubby's SCI that has possibilities to set 3 times for wake up (Timex). But after he got hurt we used to set up timer on my sport watch and it would beep every 4 hrs not to just wake him up, but also during the day, so he can cath... You can buy either one of those at Walmart under $30.

BlueBlueHighway , my suggestion is be ''time dependent '' , after a while then a clock is no longer needed . at almost 13 years post i still wake at midnight and 4am , even though i no longer need to roll due to returned function/sensation . and i haven't had any timing device since about 4 months post .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Here are a couple of options:

A regular alarm clock. How long is he sleeping? Is he sleeping 10-12 hours? If so, why? Most people at his level are fine with 8 hours, so only one alarm would be needed. If the alarm makes too much noise, you could consider the Shake Awake Alarm:

http://www.brucemedical.com/shawal.html

There is also a vibrating device called the Private Practice that is sold as a medical reminder (medications, etc.) that will vibrate regularly unless you disarm it. You can get it in 15 minute (wheelchair weight shift), 2 hour (turns), 4 hour (meds, etc.) frequencies. It is disposable.

http://www.privatepractice.com/

(KLD)