Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Paralyzed & Pregnant on Discovery Health

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    C-sections have become entirely too common in this country, whether they be for AB women or disabled women. This is not a good thing.

    C.
    My aunt was in charge of a Canadian maternity unit for over 30 years and she has always held C-sections in higher regard. Based on her numerous experiences, she believes it is less stressful for baby and oftentimes a lot safer for the mother.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    C-sections have become entirely too common in this country, whether they be for AB women or disabled women. This is not a good thing.

    C.
    why not, exactly? they use a very small cut, outta hospital in 2 days, no long labor. kid is fine, mom even better. why do you say not a good thing?

  3. #13
    Because it's surgery. I had 2 and I wasn't out of the hospital in 2 days, try 4 and I wasn't fine. I had lots of pain, couldn't pick anything up and couldn't get around well for a couple of weeks. Not to mention they tell you not to drive for a month.


    A woman considering cesarean section should be told that, compared to vaginal birth, she has an increased risk of infection, hemorrhage, damage to abdominal and urinary tract organs, and complications from anesthesia/narcotics. She needs to know that the incidence of drug resistant infections is increasing and blood transfusions can lead to life threatening complications.

    The researchers noted that vaginal birth is beneficial to the baby. During this process, hormones are released promoting healthy lung function. The physical compression of the baby moving through the vaginal canal also helps remove fluid from the lungs and helps infants in breathing.
    Last edited by I Care; 10-06-2008 at 07:59 AM.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by I Care
    Because it's surgery. I had 2 and I wasn't out of the hospital in 2 days, try 4 and I wasn't fine. I had lots of pain, couldn't pick anything up and couldn't get around well for a couple of weeks. Not to mention they tell you not to drive for a month.
    All new mothers should take it easy. I can't tell you the amount of horror stories I've heard re. tearing of the perineum, multiple stitches, forceps complications etc.

  5. #15
    c section these days is a small cut. not like yrs ago. mayo clinic quotes 3 days in hospital. btw, i had emergency c section with full vertical cut, after hours of labor i hemorrhaged due to placenta previa. i wasn't in hospital long and had no long recovery period at all. in fact, was back in my chair wheeling around in a few days. had the c section been planned, i would have been up sooner because i would not have lost so much blood.

    mayo clinic:

    Sometimes a Caesarean birth (C-section) is safer for mother or baby than is a vaginal delivery. Whether your C-section happens unexpectedly or you've planned it months in advance, you may be anxious about the experience. Here's what to expect during the C-section — and how to promote recovery afterward.

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-section/PR00101
    Last edited by cass; 10-06-2008 at 08:28 AM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by I Care
    A woman considering cesarean section should be told that, compared to vaginal birth, she has an increased risk of infection, hemorrhage, damage to abdominal and urinary tract organs, and complications from anesthesia/narcotics. She needs to know that the incidence of drug resistant infections is increasing and blood transfusions can lead to life threatening complications.

    The researchers noted that vaginal birth is beneficial to the baby. During this process, hormones are released promoting healthy lung function. The physical compression of the baby moving through the vaginal canal also helps remove fluid from the lungs and helps infants in breathing.
    Pros and cons to both methods. I find it disheartening to see the 'breast is best' mentality jumping on board with their guilt trips. I read the like fairly often. An expectant mother does not always have a choice as to the delivery plan, but if she does, she should be able to make an informed decision alongside her physician's guidance sans the unecessary pressures from judgemental individuals - largely women and some not even mothers themselves.

  7. #17
    breast is best fact

    Cass...it's about 6 inches, but the length of the incision doesn't change how deep they have to go. Through muscle and into the uterus to get baby. It's still abdominal surgery with all the complications that go along with any surgery. Then trying to take care of an infant after, it makes it more difficult.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by I Care
    breast is best fact

    Cass...it's about 6 inches, but the length of the incision doesn't change how deep they have to go. Through muscle and into the uterus to get baby. It's still abdominal surgery with all the complications that go along with any surgery. Then trying to take care of an infant after, it makes it more difficult.
    been there, done that, as a c7 quad. read above edited post. they no longer do what you say. a small incision above the pelvic. cause of my paralysis, i wasn't even put under, at my insistence.

    never breast fed either and my son has almost never been sick. he was never sick as an infant. first threw up at 3.
    Last edited by cass; 10-06-2008 at 08:26 AM.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by I Care
    breast is best fact
    Organically, of course breast milk is preferable and the ideal. Millions of babies have gone on to thrive and lead long, healthy lives in it's absence though too. What is shameful is how the Nurse Ratchet and Earth mother types bully new mothers into believing that they are somehow inadequate if they can't yield the supplies, cope with the pain/routine or indeed just opt out of breast-feeding for a number of other reasons. I've been there, it's shocking. That kind of interference can be detrimental and demoralising at a time when nothing but support is needed. The same goes for judging another's plan of delivery.

  10. #20
    All I said was, it's best, stated it as a fact, which it is. I don't care what method any mom chooses to birth or feed their young.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2002, 10:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •