Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paralyzed & Pregnant on Discovery Health

Paralyzed & Pregnant on Discovery Health

It follows Michelle (quad) and hubby through their pregnancy and birth.

Click for the air times: http://health.discovery.com/tv-sched...480.116988.0.0

I'm excited to watch it!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

bump

It's on today.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I watched that earlier in the week and it was very interesting. One thing that shocked me was that she had a vaginal birth, even though she's a quadraplegic (from what I've heard, quads only get c-sections, due to pushing muscles that are extremely weak).

Jesse-
    who did you hear that from? Do you know any quadriplegics who have given birth? I am one, and have spoken to quite a few others and we have all had vaginal births. As it turns out, uterine contractions are involuntary and bypass the spinal cord and do most of the work. The pelvic muscles, which are used for voluntary pushing are actually more relaxed and sometimes can ease the baby's passage through the birth canal (although not always-as in Michelle's case where she needed a vacuum assist). In my case, my baby was small-6 lbs. 2 oz.-and I guess I was made for making babies, because she just slipped out pretty much on her own. My doctor is quite ready to use that vacuum, but luckily my baby had other ideas. Her head was fully delivered before anybody even realized it, and her body probably would've slipped out if her cord hadn't stopped her. I think doctors get a little freaked out by the quadriplegic birthing and rush things, maybe jumping to use tools a little too quickly, and not trusting the body to perform as it was intended.

Gurly-
    have you seen it yet, what did you think? I was a little freaked out by that show. Luckily, I saw it after I had become pregnant, because I don't know if I would've done it after. It seems she is giving up lots to have a baby of her own. Please remember all pregnancies are different, able-bodied or spinal cord injured. Mine turned out pretty good except for the pneumonia at six months, and the ridiculous amount of UTIs I had to deal with. I would encourage other women with spinal cord injuries to have babies if they want-but one is definitely enough for me.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

I've also had 2 pretty much uncomplicated pregnancies and 2 easy vaginal births.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray
    I watched that earlier in the week and it was very interesting. One thing that shocked me was that she had a vaginal birth, even though she's a quadraplegic (from what I've heard, quads only get c-sections, due to pushing muscles that are extremely weak).
    it was pointed out on the show that uterine contractions are involuntary so one does not need to have muscle control for the body to move the baby down the birth canal.

Quote Originally Posted by alissa

Gurly-
    have you seen it yet, what did you think? I was a little freaked out by that show. Luckily, I saw it after I had become pregnant, because I don't know if I would've done it after. It seems she is giving up lots to have a baby of her own. Please remember all pregnancies are different, able-bodied or spinal cord injured. Mine turned out pretty good except for the pneumonia at six months, and the ridiculous amount of UTIs I had to deal with. I would encourage other women with spinal cord injuries to have babies if they want-but one is definitely enough for me.

No, I wasn't able to watch it. I have cable, but I don't have that channel! I'm excited to have babies(2 max) someday...not anyday soon tho!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

not a quad, obviously. and not informed. how many paras do ya think have "pushing muscles?" this reminds me of a post i made a few yrs back and a member slammed me for. i've known many paralyzed moms, me included, many have had easier births due to muscles not fighting it. papers are written on it.

btw, most quadriplegics have no muscles below c7 (definition), not weak muscles. good grief, my son was born at loma linda in 1992. it was fully expected in 1992 i would have a normal, vaginal delivery. the issue is ad. i had epidural to stop that. even tho i told my t6 friend, 6 months later, no epidural and she had severe ad.
    Last edited by cass; 10-06-2008 at 04:56 AM.

thing that shocked me was that she had a vaginal birth, even though she's a quadraplegic (from what I've heard, quads only get c-sections, due to pushing muscles that are extremely weak).
    C-sections have become entirely too common in this country, whether they be for AB women or disabled women. This is not a good thing.

C.