Thread: Bought a used Mac

Bought a used Mac

I bought this
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ac_g4_500.html for $100, without the monitor. the guy brought it buy and set it up. this is a new toy and will make me a well rounded person.

I'm actually more excited about this pc than I have been in 20 years. all my pc's were bought for bottom line price and now I get to play with a Mac.

Looking for three (3) 512 168 pin memory and a video card with as much ram as I can. Any suggestions?

The guy (a pc junk collector, one of my own kind) who I got it from told me doing this would, for the price, make a very fast computer. right now I'm doing the s/w update and found out there are several things I can put in it that I already have.

cris (like a little kid)

G/l, rams easy, but Vid cards will be hard. Its a Mac thing.

Got two 512 ram module for $50 from ebay, now all i need is a video card with lots of ram.

Cris, do I need to send you an Apple window cling to put on your car?

You are gonna love it when you get it up and going!

Take care!

Teena

Another good place to get RAM at a decent price is Ramseeker. They list what are the current lowest prices from different sellers.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

My bottom line is video card for $60, $56 for the Ram gives me a G4 DP 500Mhz with 1.5 gb and a Radeon 9700 128 MB video for a grand total of $216. New 7 years ago it would be around $4000.

Its got a Gigabyte ethernet card so i'm hoping this configuration (Extra system and video ram) will give me a good web surfer. I use Firefox on the PC and plan to use it on the Mac.

Is Safari better than Mozilla's browse?

Quote Originally Posted by Cris
    Is Safari better than Mozilla's browse?
    I have both Safari and Firefox. It is my understanding that Safari has better color accuracy and is faster than most browsers, including Firefox. I don't seem to notice the speed difference when I use Safari. I prefer Firefox because of all the wonderful plugins. With Safari you can get plugins by visiting a website called PimpMySafari.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

The Mac has served its purpose and I am going to sell it. When I surf the web using the PC I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. If I use the Macintosh to surf the web I still use Firefox so the only "real" difference is, the PC is significantly quicker.

In light of this I can see how the different medias will all end up as a browser interface. You already have the "Internet" but you also have movies (and television shows) that you can access through the Web. Voice over IP which I have now (and I'm happy with) is on the Internet and the voicemail messages for my home phone are stored online and accessed through a browser.

In a couple more years when it's time to get a new "main PC" I will revisit the Macintosh but for now I can use the space it is taking up more efficiently. The way we interface with every day activities is changing so fast that by the time I get a new computer I will have different functions I can exploit with it.

The next PC will probably be just a monitor after taking all these changing interfaces into consideration. I may have interchangeable "dumb terminals" to take the place of my phone, answering machine, computer, television or movies which I will access all these things through my browser.